Considered one of the holiest festivals in Islam, the Eid al-Adha marks the end of Hajj – the annual pilgrimage undertaken by devout Muslims to Mecca in Saudi Arabia. This year, the festival was expected to fall on September 11 – which is the anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon back 2001.
But, according to recent reports, the festival dates – which are dictated by the sighting of the moon and the lunar calendar – have fallen on September 12 and 13. Countries in the Western Hemisphere will celebrate it on Monday, while in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and other Asian countries, Tuesday has been fixed as the day for celebrating Greater Eid.
Eid al-Adha literally translates to ‘festival of the sacrifice’, referring to the story of Abraham, or Ibrahim as he’s also known, who was ready to sacrifice the life of his son at the command of Allah. God, after testing Abraham’s devotion, switched the object of sacrifice to a sheep instead of his son. This is the reason why this day is also called Bakra Eid.
Muslims usually symbollically sacrifice goats, lambs and other animals in the name of Allah and as a respect to Abraham’s willingness to make the ultimate sacrifice. The meat from the sacrificed animal is considered pious and distributed among friends and family.
Eid al-Adha is vastly different from Eid al-Fitr, which marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan, when Muslims fast as a devotion to Allah.
On this auspicious occasion, here are some wishes and greetings to share with your loved ones to wish them good fortune and a Happy Eid.
* May Allah shower countless blessing upon you and your family. Keep me in your prayers. Happy Eid al-Adha 2016
* May Allah flood your life with happiness, love, wisdom on this blessed day of sacrifice. Happy Bakrid.
* May this Eid bring a lot of fun and happiness,
With endless blessings from God,
Who enlightens you with knowledge.
Bakrid wishes to you and your family
* Abraham was ready to sacrifice his only son. Sacrificing the most loved things will make you a better person to be loved by Allah. Happy Bakrid wishes.
* On Eid Ul Adha, wishing that your sacrifices are appreciated and your prayers are answered by the almighty. Have a blessed Eid Ul Adha!
* May his blessings always shine upon you and your family on this Eid Ul Adha and Forever. Eid Mubarak!
* Eid Ul Adha is Eid of sacrifice and commitment of Allah’s orders. May Allah bless us with the same in all circles of life, and help all amongst us, who are helpless, worried and waiting for his rehmat. Eid Mubarak!
* On this Eid Ul Adha. May all your prayers be answered by Allah. Believe on him and he will grand you your heart’s desire. Happy Eid Ul Adha.
* Eid spreads the message of brotherhood and togetherness. May Allah bless you and bring happiness in Life. Eid Ul Adha wishes to you and your Family!
* The moon has been sighted the samosas are ready here comes EID so just go steady lots of dua’s is all I request and just wanted to wish you all the best. Eid Ul Adha Mubarak!
* No shadows to depress you. Only joys to surround you. Allah himself to bless you. These are my wishes for you. Today tomorrow and every day… Eid-Ul-Adha Mubarak!
* Wishing you smiles and all things nice. May this Eid bring all the comforts you have ever wanted, and all the joy and laughter you have ever wished. Happy Bakra Eid Mubarak!
* Do you know what is the meaning of EID?
Eid is the combination of 3 meaningful words
E – Embrace with open heart
I – Inspire with impressive attitude
D – Distribute pleasure to all
~ Bakra Eid Mubarak
* May you never see the warmth of hardships and there would be always happiness in your home and you see many happier moments like this Eid Day. Eid-Ul-Adha Mubarak!
* May the noor of this EID illuminate your heart, mind, soul and may all you pray be answered. Remember me in your prayers. Happy Eid Mubarak!
* “EID” Is an Event When We Share
Our Joys and Happiness With
Our Special Ones.
So On This Happy Event How
I Can Forget My Special Ones.
Accept my heartiest regards and
Congrats to you and your all family members at home.
* Many are the wishes that are being sent your way,
But the is a special one for a very happy Eid Day…
Bakra Eid Mubarak!
* Together with friends… Full of warmth and fun… Here’s wishing your Eid celebration is truly a special one! Eid Mubarak!
* Have a joyous Bakra Eid with full of sparkling lights. A warm and heartfelt wishes to tell you how much you mean to me. Eid Ul Adha Mubarak!
* Today I pray that: Happiness be at your door may it knock early stay late and leave the gift of Allah’s peace, love, joy and good health behind shaban Mubarak, Eid-Ul-Adha Mubarak. may you remain happy all the time Irrespective of any occasion.
Here’s a video of how Jama Masjid is gearing up to celebrate Eid al-Adha.
Wishing everyone a Happy Eis al-Adha.