Cartoonist Pran, who passed away on Tuesday left behind a rich legacy of comics that we will continue to adore. Here are ten of his gems.
1. Saboo ko jab gussa aata hai to kahin jwalamukhi phatata hai (When Sabu is Angry, a Volcano Erupts at some distant place in Jupiter). Saboo, the 15 feet tall alien from Jupiter rarely loses his cool. But when he does, a volcano erupts and he wipes out the enemy in not more than one second.
2. Chacha Choudhary ka dimaag computer se bhi tez chalta hai (Chacha Chaudhary’s brain works faster than a computer).
The lovable Chacha Choudhary breaks stereotypes in every possible way. Age is just a number for him as he flaunts his white moustache and red turban with grace. He has a set of formulas which he and his accomplices know by heart. All he has to say is Formula No. X (replace x by the number).
3. Chacha Choudhary apne ghar ka darwaza kabhi lock nahi karta (Chacha Choudhary never locks his house door).
It’s simple. Thieves just can’t dare to steal from his house even if the only his pet dog Rocket is in the house. Chacha’s army is impeccable and well-trained by him.
4. Chacha Chaudhary’s head or nose itches when any trouble is going to happen.
Chacha Choudhary is intuitive apart from being brainy. In his absence, if something goes haywire, his nose or bald head warn him.
5. If you are getting late for office, which is situated 10-12 kms away from your home, all you have to do is put in a request with Sabu and he will give you a punch, kick or just ‘gently’ throw you away, to your destination. You might find your cheek swollen after Sabu’s punch, but sometimes reaching on time is more important.
6. No, Pran hasn’t given us any superhero, but he has given us a supervillain, Raka, who nobody can kill. Raka has consumed a herb after which made him immortal. Chacha Choudhary and Sabu have tried putting him in space, ocean and an icy grave, but the man returns back every time.
7. Chacha Chaudhary’s dog Rocket is the only vegetarian dog in the planet. If a thief sees Chacha Chaudhary’s door open, he can’t dare to steal, for Rocket will shoo him away in no time.
8. Chacha Chaudhary’s wife Bini drives thieves away with her belan. Even Chacha can’t argue with his wife.
9. Dag- Dag is Chacha Chaudhary’s truck and companion, which he takes on every adventures saying – Chal Dag Dag.
10. Billu’s family has to go for a party, but the clothes are not washed. Billu finds a way to dry clothes quickly by hanging them on his kite’s string.
The life of lokshahirs, Maharashtra’s fabled people’s poets, is at the centre of the National Award winning film Court. On the trail of one such Dalit bard, Sambhaji Bhagat, you come face to face with a rebel and his cause.