- Rahul Gandhi is the leader India needs, will be next Prime Minister: Sudheendra Kulkarni
The state government on Wednesday claimed that the “Samajwadi smartphone scheme” announced by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had met with “huge response” from youngsters, and over one crore applications had been received.
Speaking to mediapersons, Chief Secretary Rahul Bhatnagar on Wednesday said around 85 per cent of applicants are youths between 18 and 24 years of age, while 11 per cent are from the 25 to 34 year age group.
Ahead of the 2017 Assembly polls, Akhilesh had announced that under the scheme, smartphones would be given free to the applicants provided the Samajwadi Party comes to power again in 2017.
Watch What Else Is making News
Bhatnagar said more than one crore applicants had registered online until December 6. The last date of registration is December 31. Earlier, the last date was November 10, but was extended till November 25.
The chief secretary also said nearly 61 lakh applicants are male, while around 38 lakh are female applicants.
“It means the scheme has wide acceptance,” claimed Bhatnagar. He further said maximum applications have been received from Allahabad district, followed by Jaunpur, Azamgarh, Kanpur Nagar and Ghazipur. Nearly 4.10 lakh registrations have come from Allahabad only, he said. The lowest registration numbers are from the Shravasti, Gautam Budh Nagar etc.