Trinamool Congress MP Tapas Paul, whose controversial remarks against women sparked outrage,today tendered an unconditional apology saying that in making such comments he has let down his constituents and the people of Bengal.
“Some remarks made by me in the heat and dust of the election campaign have caused dismay and consternation. I apologise unreservedly for them,” Paul said in a written apology to the Trinamool Congress and the media.
“Whatever the provocation — and there was an attempt at provocation — those comments should never have been made,” the letter said.
“In making them, I have let down my constituents and the people of Bengal, I have let down my party, the Trinamool Congress, and my political colleagues, I have let down my family, including my wife and children and my parents, and my friends,” said Paul, who had remained incommunicado since the controversial video was aired in the media yesterday evening.
“I apologise to all of them, and particularly to all women in our society and to those in the media who highlighted the issue,” the two-time Lok Sabha MP from Krishnagar said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“I have no excuses to offer. It was a gross error of judgement and deeply insensitive. It should not have happened. And I assure you it will not happen again. Once more, a humble apology,” he said.
Pal was asked by the Trinamool Congress leadership to explain his conduct in writing. TMC supremo Mamata Banerjee has expressed shock and pain at the comments made by Paul.
Party general secretary Mukul Roy said that the explanation was part of a process which has been initiated. “A process has been started, let’s see where it goes,” Roy said.