Trinamool Congress MP and Tollywood actor Tapas Paul has threatened to “destroy” CPI(M) workers and have their women raped if any of his party workers are attacked.
Addressing a workers’ meeting at Chowmatha village in Tehatta in Nadia district — which falls in his parliamentary constituency of Krishnanagar — on June 14, Paul said, “If any opponent (of the Trinamool) touches any Trinamool girl, any father, any child, I will destroy his entire family. Aamar chheleder dhukiye debo, rape kore chole jaabe, rape kore chole jaabe (I will unleash my boys, they will rape them, rape them).”
In his speech, telecast by Bengali news channel 24 Ghanta on Monday, Paul issued repeated threats to his “opponents”, warning them “for the last time” that while he would stay in Krishnanagar, he would visit Chowmatha village every month and, if he ever heard that any Trinamool supporter had been harmed, he would “not spare them”.
“I am no MP, I am just a worker,” he said. “To my opponents, I show my shoe,” he added, bending to take off his footwear and holding it up. “If any CPM (worker) dares to touch my Trinamool (people), I will destroy his gushti (extended family)… Baari, ghor, gushti aami shesh kore diye chole jaabo… (I will destroy their homes and entire extended families),” he said.
“Aami prochur mastaani korechhi… aami pockete maal niye ghuri… aami nije revolver diye guli kore chole jaabo…CPM ke guli kore maarbo… (“I have been a hoodlum myself… I walk around with a maal [gun] in my pocket… I will personally shoot CPM [supporters] with a revolver…),” said Paul.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Speaking to The Indian Express on Monday, \Paul said, “When you see a pregnant mother tortured or a man’s hands chopped off, you can’t control your anger. I just became mad.” He was reportedly angry as some TMC workers in Fazilpur were reportedly injured in an attack by CPI(M) supporters.
Even during his poll campaign, Paul, 55, had warned that he would have the last word in the area and the police would not dare to defy him. Paul, who has acted in over 30 films, first became an MLA from Alipore constituency in 2001 and was re-elected in 2006. In 2009, he won the Lok Sabha elections from Krishnanagar, and was re-elected this year.
Meanwhile, TMC national spokesperson Derek O’Brien tweeted: “Statements made by Mr Tapas Pal are very insensitive. We do not in any way endorse what he said weeks ago, being played on TV today.”
Subsequently, the party tweeted: “Tapas Pal will need to provide a written explanation to the party in 48 hours: Derek.”
Pal, however, denied that he spoke about rape. “What I said was I will tell my workers to ‘raid’.”
O’Brien himself posted, “Whatever provocation or perceived provocation, people in public life have to be extra-careful in what they say. Can’t shoot your mouth off… Sensitive use of language is an obligation for role models in culture, politics and society. If that code is breached, public trust is lost.”