VIDEO: Woman screams at K J Alphons over flight delay, he tries to play down incident

The woman claimed she was running late for a funeral and demanded Alphons to give in writing that her flight would take off soon.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Updated: November 22, 2017 7:31 pm
A woman was seen shouting at K J Alphons at Imphal Airport. (Source: ANI)

After a video of a visibly upset passenger screaming at KJ Alphons at the Imphal airport has gone viral, the Union Minister of state for tourism told ANI on Wednesday that there is no “controversy” linked to the incident. Alphons said he had explained to the woman that, according to protocol, when the President of India is landing, no flight can take off.

“I don’t think there is any controversy at all. I saw this lady in distress and I went up to talk to her, she said she has to attend a funeral in Patna, I told her that there is a protocol when President is landing no flight can take off,” he said.

Imphal Airport director also told the news agency that three scheduled flights were delayed by around 2 hours due to VVIP movement. “Yesterday no scheduled flight was diverted or cancelled. But three scheduled flights were delayed by around 2 hours due to President of India’s flight movement. We heard that 1 pax who was travelling from Imphal to Patna argued with Union Minister KJ Alphons,” the director said.

President Ramnath Kovind was in Imphal on Tuesday to inaugurate the two-day North East Development Summit.

The woman, who claimed to be a doctor, was heard giving an earful to Alphons after her flight to Patna was delayed. She claimed she was running late for a funeral and demanded Alphons to give in writing that her flight would take off soon.

“The body is lying there and it will degrade. I am a doctor, I know the body will degrade. It will smell, it is still at my home, I have to go,” she says in the video, as the minister tries to pacify her.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, the woman, who identified herself as Dr Nirala, said: “I was waiting and crying so I approached the minister (KJ Alphons), thinking a minister can do everything. Everyone has their own life to live, everyone has their own time. Just for the sake of one, it shouldn’t happen. This (VVIP culture) should be stopped.”

1. C
    C S
    Nov 23, 2017 at 6:15 am
    Why should all flights at an airport be delayed by 2 hrs just for the reason that the President's aircraft was landing. If that was the case in Delhi or Bombay scores of fights will have to be delayed if the President was arriving or departing. Or was it that Imphal has a different protocol than in Delhi? The extant rules on the VVIP protocol needs a review.
    1. J
      Nov 23, 2017 at 12:58 am
      This VIP and VVIP culture has to be stopped. I am living in UAE quite long time and never ever faced such problem.
      1. Jay Smith
        Nov 23, 2017 at 2:14 am
        You moron that's because of Emiri Airports which are separate.Your driving licence is cancelled if you obstruct a Royal vehicle. Even a local camel has more rights than an expat. Yes we don't need this VVIP culture in India.
      2. Ashutosh Kumar
        Nov 22, 2017 at 11:56 pm
        K J Alphons is a man of honour and dignity. His way of handling situation will be remembered in the history of indian politics and false representation/propaganda of media in this case without knowing full story. I don't know why Media were bahaving in that manner and disrepecting his humility. Shameful act by media for TRP!!!
          Nov 22, 2017 at 11:48 pm
          Pl see whole video and debate then I found that Girl is more making more Tamasha than behaving like genuinely distressed.guy. First she told because of Minister flight is getting delayed. Now she says I approached him because He is Minister who can do everything. Whole thing is delayed due to protocol of President,s visit and flight movement. I suffered and missed my train when Shankar Dayal jibwas President at Allahabad visit But flight delay by two hrs is not a big deal and in what way Minister was responsible . I think girl did all these hangama to get attention. Even body going to be smell is not the ground to create drama with Gentle man like Alphonse who was a top class IAS now minister. She should be declared as dangerous traveller.
          1. V
            V K Jai
            Nov 22, 2017 at 11:40 pm
            I think the Minister acted with utmost restraint, and the lady, though in grief was targeting the wrong person. But security protocols for senior cons utional authorities have to be followed. But full marks to the Minister fir his restraint.