Varnika Kundu stalking case: Vikas Barala claims innocence, says ‘I am the victim’

"In these past five months, not once was I asked what the actual facts were and what I have to say. Many people believed that I am guilty," Vikas Barala added.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Updated: January 13, 2018 10:09 pm
Varnika Kundu stalking case: Vikas Barala claims innocence, says, 'I am the victim' Express file photo of Vikas Barala

Vikas Barala, son of Haryana Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) chief Subhash Barala, on Saturday claimed that all the charges levelled against him in Varnika Kundu stalking case are “false and baseless”, adding that “in reality, he was the victim in the case.”

“You all have been hearing a lot about me in the last five months. First and foremost, I would like to tell you that I am completely innocent. All charges levelled against me are false and baseless. In reality, I am myself the victim in this case,” said Vikas in a video statement.

“In these past five months, not once was I asked what the actual facts were and what I have to say. Many people believed that I am guilty,” he added.

The 23-year-old further said that his father was a state president of a political party and for that very reason, many political parties are targeting him in an effort to tarnish his father’s political image.

“No words are enough to express the gravity of the torture, mental torture, my mother, my sister, my family and my near and dear ones have gone through in these five months. They went through unbearable pain and suffered untold trauma,” Vikas said.

“Political circumstances were so grave that my father could not even meet me or my lawyer, lest people start accusing a father of unduly helping his son,” he added.

Vikas and his friend, Ashish Kumar, had been booked by Chandigarh Police under IPC Sections 354-D (stalking), 341 (wrongful restraint), 365/511 (attempted abduction) and Section 85 (drunken driving) of the Motor Vehicles Act. He was arrested on August 9 last year and he had been in jail since then.

He also insisted that there were no charges of eve-teasing or molestation against him either in the FIR or in the court.

“These are all false and baseless, they are all rumours. I am humbly appealing to all of you to please believe only in true facts and evidences linked to this case, instead of just gossip,” he said.

Meanwhile, Varnika said she hopes that the “baseless video” released by Vikas will not affect the actual proceedings of law. “We have kept our complete faith in judicial system. And I am hoping that such a baseless video which is clearly a blatant lie will not affect the actual proceedings of law,” she told ANI.

This statement from Vikas comes two days after he was granted bail by the Punjab and Haryana High Court in connection with the case.

1. Madan Gupta
    Jan 14, 2018 at 7:42 am
    Get the medical examination done by a male doctor to find how many boys she had tasted.
    (1)(0)
    1. Vishal Ghag (vishu)
      Jan 14, 2018 at 4:52 am
      let the respected court decide and the law takes its own course ... nocent till found guilty is every one rights, given by cons ution of India and if found guilty he will automatically land in jail...
      (1)(0)
      1. Indian Abroad
        Jan 14, 2018 at 2:00 am
        Ha haha VICTIM :) May be Vernika stalked Vikas.
        (12)(1)
        1. Fortis Hospital
          Jan 14, 2018 at 12:49 am
          Hello everybody. Fortis Hospital is looking for in anywhere in world, so if you want to and be rich or to save someone life please kindly contact us for more details as we are ready to offer you big amount 1crore 50.of without any stress, So this is your opportunity for you to for money: Best regard Dr THOMS No. 919665685517
          (0)(0)
          1. Ravi Shankar
            Jan 13, 2018 at 9:17 pm
            These animals who have made the life of women daughter sisters mothers a living in India, should be dragged out of their houses and finsihed on the roads like insects. These people r making India for women, and no wonder why we see such a pathetic condition of women in states like Haryana and Punjab, and their desire to not have a girl child. Law, lawmakers and systems of this nation is hopeless, in fact run by relatives of these criminals, and people need to do justice on their own to bring better India, far away from these hopeless cases.
            (40)(1)
            1. Archana Das
              Jan 13, 2018 at 10:12 pm
              India has 50 60 crores such animal, look like unfortunately human being. Whom are you going to repair
              (29)(2)
              1. Debjani Bhattacharjee
                Jan 14, 2018 at 1:06 am
                Yes... We all know that women are always victim Women are always saint.
                (1)(7)