Violent protests broke out in Firozabad on Monday over the killing of two police constables by unidentified assailants, leaving a DIG of police and several others injured, drawing a strong reaction from the Centre which said it is concerned over the law and order situation in Uttar pradesh.
Under attack over a spate of rapes in the state, the ruling Samajwadi Party accused the media of “targeting” its government under a “conspiracy sponsored by BJP.”
Protests erupted in the the Firozabad city, about 285 km from Lucknow, at Subhash crossing near the district hospital with locals demanding immediate arrest of those involved in the killing of the two constables last night at Sailai road.
DIG (Range) Vijay Singh Meena was one of those injured as the irate crowd resorted to brick-batting. Several shops and vehicles were damaged by the angry mob which also blocked the road and torched a police vehicle.
According to police, the two constables were shot dead by unidentified miscreants during a chase in the Ramgarh area. The incident took place when the constables Dinesh Pratap Singh and Giriraj Kishore Gujjar, aged between 30-32 years, were chasing a group of miscreants last night. While Giriraj died on the spot after being shot, Dinesh was rushed to the hospital, where he succumbed during treatment.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Following the incident, SO Ramgarh Ajay Kumar Yadav and Sub-Inspector Omar Farooq have been suspended, DIG Meena said. Additional personnel have been rushed to the area where the protests are taking place, police said, adding that a manhunt has been launched to nab the assailants.
In Delhi, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said, “the Ministry of Home Affairs is concerned over the prevailing ‘Law and Order’ situation in UP. We are closely monitoring the situation in UP.”
In Varanasi, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav said, “I know the reason (for the incident). I know this district. Firozabad is our district. I have decided to give Rs 20 lakh each to the families of the two constables. They were brave policemen. They died while maintaining law and order.”