Violent protests broke out in Firozabad on Monday over the killing of two police constables by unidentified assailants, leaving a DIG of police and several others injured, drawing a strong reaction from the Centre which said it is concerned over the law and order situation in Uttar pradesh.
Under attack over a spate of rapes in the state, the ruling Samajwadi Party accused the media of “targeting” its government under a “conspiracy sponsored by BJP.”
Protests erupted in the the Firozabad city, about 285 km from Lucknow, at Subhash crossing near the district hospital with locals demanding immediate arrest of those involved in the killing of the two constables last night at Sailai road.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
DIG (Range) Vijay Singh Meena was one of those injured as the irate crowd resorted to brick-batting. Several shops and vehicles were damaged by the angry mob which also blocked the road and torched a police vehicle.
According to police, the two constables were shot dead by unidentified miscreants during a chase in the Ramgarh area. The incident took place when the constables Dinesh Pratap Singh and Giriraj Kishore Gujjar, aged between 30-32 years, were chasing a group of miscreants last night. While Giriraj died on the spot after being shot, Dinesh was rushed to the hospital, where he succumbed during treatment.
Following the incident, SO Ramgarh Ajay Kumar Yadav and Sub-Inspector Omar Farooq have been suspended, DIG Meena said. Additional personnel have been rushed to the area where the protests are taking place, police said, adding that a manhunt has been launched to nab the assailants.
In Delhi, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said, “the Ministry of Home Affairs is concerned over the prevailing ‘Law and Order’ situation in UP. We are closely monitoring the situation in UP.”
In Varanasi, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav said, “I know the reason (for the incident). I know this district. Firozabad is our district. I have decided to give Rs 20 lakh each to the families of the two constables. They were brave policemen. They died while maintaining law and order.”