Hoardings praising Modi and the Mahatma as “favourite sons of Gujarat” have been put up by coordinator of BJP UP’s business cell Vineet Agarwal Sharda in Shastri Nagar, Abu lane and near the district court.
However, State BJP president Laxmi Kant Bajpai said the party leadership doesn’t agree with such a comparison.
- Maharashtra education dept shopping list: 1,49,954 books on Modi, 4,343 on Gandhi, 1,635 on Nehru
- ‘In villages, urban areas, people sit on one side, Dalits in another corner. No one discusses this’
- After giving BJP a scare in Gujarat, Congress, NCP to go all out against Devendra Fadnavis govt
- Gujarat Elections Results highlights: PM Modi terms verdict ‘historic’, says it proves country is ready for reform
- Gujarat elections LIVE updates: Due to notebandi, Congress is facing votebandi, says CM Vijay Rupani
- Mahatma Gandhi row: BJP MP compares Modi with ‘Sabarmati saint’, Congress says ‘sycophancy at its worst’
“I don’t agree with such a comparison and it only shows the political immaturity of that person,” Bajpai told PTI. Congress termed it an “act of sycophancy”.
“By comparing Narendra Modi with Mahatma Gandhi, BJP leaders have crossed all limits of sycophancy. Modi is, maybe, the second Mahatma for BJP but for the people of India, he can never be Mahatma Gandhi,” said UP Congress chief Chaudhary Yashpal Singh.
Samajwadi Party leader Gopal Agarwal said BJP is trying to “tease the populace” by trying to compare Narendra Modi with the Mahatma.
Goel, a Delhi BJP MP, had yesterday put up a hoarding in front of his official residence likening the Prime Minister to the Mahatma, inviting sharp reactions from rival parties.