Five persons were killed and 20 others injured, nine of them seriously, when a fire broke out following leakage in a gas cylinder in Chamanganj area here, police said on Saturday.
The incident happened yesterday when Anil, a resident of Chamanganj, allegedly kept a leaking gas cylinder inside a water tank at a public toilet here, they said.
As the water tank was empty, the leakage continued and spread.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Meanwhile, someone entered the toilet and lit a cigarette which triggered the blaze, they said.
Police rushed to the spot and admitted the injured to the hospital where five of them succumbed to their injuries.
The deceased have been identified as Anurag (12), Sita Devi (40), Hasina (48), Anil (24), Sunil (29).
Nine people were critically injured in the mishap, police said.
District Magistrate Roshan Jacob has ordered an inquiry into the incident.
He has also announced a compensation of Rs 50,000 for the deceased and Rs 20,000 for the seriously injured.