Triple talaq verdict: ‘It was hell… hope nobody goes through what I did,’ says petitioner Ishrat Jehan

In April 2015, Murtaza, Jehan's husband who used to work in Dubai, called her up and gave her talaq. Since then, life has been traumatic for this mother of three daughters and a son. Later, her children were also taken away to Bihar where her husband's family live.

Written by Ravik Bhattacharya | Kolkata | Updated: August 22, 2017 7:11 pm
triple talaq, triple talaq verdict, triple talaq judgement, ishrat jehan, ishrat jehan triple talaq, supreme court, muslim divorce A group of Muslim women walk down a road in Amroha, Uttar Pradesh. (Representational/Express Photo by Tashi Tobgyal)

“Now, after the court verdict I hope no one will undergo what I went through. It was hell. My husband called me from Dubai and said talaq talaq talaq. It was so sudden. I cannot even remember the date,” said Ishrat Jehan, one of the five petitioners against triple talaq. A five-judge bench of the Supreme Court on Tuesday in a split verdict ruled that the practice of instant triple talaq in the Muslim community is unconstitutional. The bench, headed by Chief Justice of India J S Khehar, set aside the practice by a majority of 3:2.

Ishrat was among the few Muslim women who petitioned in Supreme Court against triple talaq and now lives in Howrah with her two children. In April 2015, Jehan’s husband Md Murtaza Ansari who works in Dubai called her up and gave her talaq. Since then life has been traumatic for this mother of four. After the talaq, her children were taken away from her, she was left with no money, her husband’s brother tried to molest her and electricity at her home was snapped due to non payment.

“I was waiting for the news. This verdict will help thousands of women like me. Now Muslim women will be able to live with their head high. After the verdict I feel Muslim women will get their rights and equality back. I went to court to get justice. Now I think I will get justice. I am a religious person but I believe one should not be allowed to give talaq over phone or just by saying it thrice,” 30-year-old Jehan told The Indian Express. Ishrat is mother of three daughters and a son.

Ishrat got married in 2001, when she was just 14 in Bihar, where she and her husband lived. Later, they shifted to Pilkhana in Howrah. Ishrat then gave birth to three girl child, which made her husband angry. Despite her fourth child being a son, her husband left her to work in Dubai. In April 2015, her husband suddenly called her up and uttered the three talaqs. He never spoke to her again. Immediately, her children were taken away to Bihar, where later her husband remarried.

“After the divorce, my husband’s brother and his wife treated me badly in Howrah. My children were taken away, I was left with no money. Since the electricity connection was on their name, they did not pay and got it snapped. My husband’s elder brother molested me, I lodged a police complaint but nothing happened,” said Jehan.

“Just 15 days back two of my children, elder girl Shayestha ( 13) and my son Zaid (7) came to me. They said they cannot live there since their stepmother ill treats them. Two of my children Kehekasha(11) and Bushra (9) are there. I miss them and want them back,” said Jehan.

Jehan now somehow manages to live with financial help from her sister. “I do not know how my children will grow up. I do not have money. After Talaq over phone, not a single paisa was given for my maintenance. I have to put my children to school, buy them clothes. I am a housewife,” said Jehan who is mulling to approach the court to get maintenance for herself and her children from her husband.

1. I
    i for fools
    Aug 22, 2017 at 4:29 pm
    islam not fit for 21 century.still women should click photos under burka its dificulty to recognise women or men.terrible,,,,,, these muslims espacially indian muslims want to live like 6 century era what funny,,,,. according to them playing chess is un-islamic,but playing cricket,using mobilesetc are islamic.one thing is clear anything which is their population reduces its un-islamic. they opposes their women to wear jeans pant but their men wants to marry a women who wears jeans pants etc.thus shows that their religion never guide them in a proper path.thats they are very cruel people eats everything starting from human waste to their waste.
    (0)(0)
      amenper
      Aug 22, 2017 at 4:12 pm
      BJP, its job to divide make country into burst. BJP government supported this verdict. 90 of muslim women did'nt want this, they had faith in Allah(swt). I dont know whether it is good or not, whether as per the Islamic practices since few countries there are different opinions. Simply fooling the country by making false measures. Can you tell me how many hindu women got divorced and how many muslim women got divorced? When kuffars are divulging on quran and islam and these mushriq women are so happy about it. Allah only punishes them whom he wants to punish. Allah swt is only the right judge. Judgement is unlawful i think w/o consulting muslim leaders, law has supported in cons .tn, Now these current govt. blaming the law of india , law makers approached the subject matters experts and they said what is good and the likes of law to faith of people, who made contributed their lives for the freedom of india, how come you find out the unlawful suddenly w/o consulting our leade
      (0)(0)
        SK
        Aug 22, 2017 at 4:37 pm
        Dear Amenper It pains to see educated person take such approach, How can talaq happen over phone without finalising the future of the hapless women children. What such things happen to your sister, women folk in your family too. Dont see it from the prism of other religion or politics. Every religion had good and bad practices. As the shelf life of some practices are over those needs to be eliminated. Sati , un touchability were also practices not in the original religious form but got included over a period of time. Those were well past their shelf life and were made practicing them as punishable act. To say that i am a man can divorce my wife unilaterally is uneducated cowardly though process.
        (0)(0)
          Avi
          Aug 22, 2017 at 5:50 pm
          Very true - that is why a few months back a massive rally organized by Muslim Organisation in support of triple talaq has zero women amongst them. Don't try to fool us by saying that 90 of Muslim women support triple talaq. Actually it is 100 who do not support triple talaq.
          (0)(0)
          din
          Aug 22, 2017 at 3:52 pm
          That is why Sonia and Rahul has gone on Hiding to seek Fatwa against SC and Hindu
          (0)(0)