• Associate Sponsor

There’s threat to my life, BJP, RSS can kill me: Jignesh Mevani

“I also have the same feeling as (VHP leader) Pravin Togadia. The fascist forces are capable of killing anyone. There is a threat to my life as well. The BJP and RSS can kill me, and as per my sources, they definitely want to eliminate me,” Mevani said

Written by PREETI DAS | Ahmedabad | Published: January 17, 2018 3:57 am
Dalit leader Jignesh Mevani, Vadgam Dalit leader Jignesh Mevani, Jignesh Mevani, BJP, RSS, India News, Indian Express, Indian Express News Vadgam MLA Jignesh Mevani

Dalit leader and Independent MLA from Vadgam Jignesh Mevani on Tuesday said that there is a threat to his life. His remarks came after some Dalit groups demanded Y category security for him. “I also have the same feeling as (VHP leader) Pravin Togadia. The fascist forces are capable of killing anyone. There is a threat to my life as well. The BJP and RSS can kill me, and as per my sources, they definitely want to eliminate me,” Mevani told The Indian Express over the phone from Chennai. The Y category security entails cover of 11 security personnel, including eight commandos.

Earlier in the day, Dalit groups submitted memorandums to Collectors in various districts of Gujarat, demanding Y category security for Mevani. They also demanded withdrawal of cases against Mevani and Bhim Army founder Chandrashekhar, who is currently lodged in a jail in Uttar Pradesh and has been charged under the National Security Act. According to members of Rashtriya Dalit Adhikar Manch (RDAM), a total of 30 memorandums were submitted across the state — in Mehsana, Jamnagar, Kutch, Kheda, Vadnagar, Radhanpur, Unjha, Bhavnagar and Botad among others.

1. Asm Daniel
    Jan 19, 2018 at 12:50 am
    Whether its 'Y' category or not , some sort of security should be provided to Jignesh . The threat may not come from the Government ,except lodging cases against him , but from errant supporters of Sangh parivar .
    (2)(0)
    1. Ka L
      Jan 18, 2018 at 8:21 pm
      ...I guess my voice is not heard. He is not replying me, because I'm the oppressed of the oppressed. I'm the Dalit of the Dalit. Where's my support America, Britian, and other Dalits.
      (0)(1)
      1. Ka L
        Jan 18, 2018 at 8:19 pm
        ..and one more thing too all those crooks out there like this man imposing on society for self gain and self recognition....... I will vote, because a man is capable off doing a job properly, and not because he is a Dalit or Brahmin etc... As that is also castisium. ( is see there's a rise in opportunist, that's good as long as they looking after the peoples interest. Dalit leader, what have you done to improve your community? The same Y security money can help with so much with fighting pollution .)
        (0)(1)
        1. Ka L
          Jan 18, 2018 at 8:04 pm
          There's threat to my life aswell.. And I am against you
          (0)(1)
          1. Ka L
            Jan 18, 2018 at 8:10 pm
            A leader promotes peace. You abusing you position, because it's not in your caliber. What do other Dalit leaders such as myself have to say? Well, I have to say as a highly oppressed Dalit, that I am even oppressioned by the Dalits.
            (0)(1)
            1. Ka L
              Jan 18, 2018 at 8:11 pm
              ..There's also threat too your leadership job too bro
              (0)(1)
          2. balaji baliarsingh
            Jan 18, 2018 at 2:00 pm
            Jignesh is not a leader at all. No vision, no intelligentsia n good for nothing fellow. Only know to come to limelight by dividing the society. Why he is crying for Dalit. Why he is trying to develop them at cost of Govt Exchequer. Why he is not understanding that it is one India n all are same. Whether dalit are not allowed travel in train ,bus or air craft. Whether dalit are not allowed to get education in educational ins ution . Whether dalit not allowed in service sector. If it is yes ,then what else dalit are deprived of does he understand. Whether dalit are not paid for their work. If yes then what for he is crying. Does he think a dalit should be paid the ry of a MD by working as office boy in a company. Does he think dalit should live inside antilia( Ambani Residence) by mere working there during construction work. Whether our President is ot a dalit. Then what else is left to be taken care for dalit he thinks ,the poor fellow. We should understand these leader fully.
            (8)(12)
              Ramachandran
              Jan 18, 2018 at 2:33 pm
              Agree. Cast is the last thing a human being can be proud of. All reservation ( up to education only) should be based on income and economic criteria. The word cast should be removed from the Indian cons ution. How can a lower cast or dalit consider themselves as inferior? Everyone in India have equal rights and opportunity. People like Jignesh and Hardik are belittiling the Dalits and Patels by asking for reservations. They are dividing the country and for their own benefit ,making sure Dalits and Patels remain inferior section of society. The media is projecting them as heros and ‘ new Turks’ . Actually they should be called “new Jerks” instead of new turks.They are the real anti nationalists dividing country on cast😡
              (2)(1)
              1. Avinash Kumar
                Jan 29, 2018 at 11:51 pm
                Dalit still are looked down in our society - Look at several news where dalits are denied entry into temples, and water from village common hand pumps. They are still at large to get a good education - due to their social economic background. Balaji, which world you live to deny these? Is caste system gone from your family and south Indian society ( North Indian as well)? If not -what nonsense you are talking??? If he is a political tool - so are all of us.
                (1)(0)