Passport fees slashed for those under 8 years, above 60

The Minister announced that passports would now be bilingual, that is in both Hindi and English languages. Alongside the Minister for Communication Manoj Sinha, Swaraj also unveiled a commemorative postage stamp on the occasion.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Updated: June 23, 2017 5:16 pm
 Sushma Swaraj, passport, india passport, passport seva, passport application, bilingual passport, india news, indian express External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj alongside Manoj Sinha General Vijay Kumar Singh releases a commemorative postage stamp on the “50th year of Passport Act 1967” (Credits: Manoj Sinha via Twitter)

External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj announced a 10 per cent reduction in fee for passport applicants under 8 years of age and over 60 years at an event held on the completion of 50 years of the Passport Act, 1967 on Friday.  The Minister also announced that passports would now be bilingual, that is in both Hindi and English languages. Alongside the Minister for Communication Manoj Sinha, Swaraj also unveiled a commemorative postage stamp on the occasion.

“We have brought improvement in passport rules, services and focused on doorstep delivery,” Swaraj said.

In order to extend passport services to our citizens on a larger scale and to ensure wider area coverage, the Ministry of External Affairs and the Department of Posts (DOP) have agreed to utilise head post offices in the country as Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) for delivering passport-related services to the citizens of our country, Sinha said.

The Minister was chairing the Passport Seva Diwas & Passport Officers’ Conference at Press Information Bureau Auditorium on completion of 250 years by the Survey of India (SOI) in New Delhi.

Syed Asif
    Jun 24, 2017 at 1:03 am
    Good to know about 10 discount. Police verification biribes are doubled 150 to 300 now but If we all pledge not give bribe or take India will be a better place for sure.
    Sachin
    Jun 23, 2017 at 11:32 pm
    Hindi is not National Language of India. Then why just Hindi and English. Why not other Indian languages?
  3. T
    TIHAEwale
    Jun 23, 2017 at 9:37 pm
    they will up the passport. many applicants will not know how to use hindi keys so they will have to engage services of cyber cafes . this Govt believes in tokenism rest all is gobar
  4. N
    Narendra M Apte
    Jun 23, 2017 at 7:13 pm
    1. I am glad to know that as a senior citizen I will pay 10 less fee for issue of passport. But who will solve difficulties of senior citizens like me? 2. I wish to share my experience when I applied for a passport last year. I had submitted a Birth Date Certificate (BDC) issued to me by my college where I studied for four years. However, my application for passport was rejected at PSK PUNE, as proof of birth submitted by me (BDC issued by college) was unacceptable to PSK. I explained to PSK official that in 1960s, prevailing practice was that the college would retain the School Leaving Certificate (SLC) submitted by every student, and retain it forever. The college would issue a BDC on the basis of birth date mentioned in the SLC submitted by the student and that BDC issued by the college was considered a proof good enough for all purposes, even for issue of a life insurance policy. After rejection of my application I had sent a written grievance letter but it is yet to be acted on.
    K Parmeshwarv
    Jun 23, 2017 at 5:36 pm
    While fees of passport reduction is welcome . Bilingual is uncalled for .