The Winter session of Odisha Assembly began on a stormy note Thursday with opposition Congress creating uproarious scenes leading to adjournment of the House till 3 PM.
As soon as the Question Hour began after obituary references, Leader of Opposition Narasingha Mishra sought immediate discussion on issues like death of children due to Japanese Encephalitis (JE) in Malkangiri district.
The senior Congress leader requested Speaker Niranjan Pujari to cancel the Question Hour for holding a discussion on the issue as over 100 children have died due to JE and unknown diseases in the tribal-dominated district.
The Speaker, however, rejected Congress’ demand and the House proceeded with the Question Hour following which the party’s legislators to troop into the Well of the House and create an uproar.
Some members including Congress chief whip Tara Prasad Bahinipati were even seen trying to climb the Speaker’s table and snatch the microphone. Unable to conduct business amid noisy scenes, Pujari adjourned the House till 3 PM.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Mishra later told reporters outside the House that considering the urgency, the issue should have been discussed after cancelling the Question Hour as more than 100 children have perished due to the disease and the government failed to control the situation.
Criticising the disruption of the Assembly, BJD spokesperson Samir Dash, also speaking outside the Assembly, said the issue could have been discussed after the Question Hour. The government is ready to hold discussion on any issue raised by the opposition, he said.