A day after Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy was injured in stone pelting allegedly by LDF workers in Kannur,police on Monday booked 17 CPI(M) activists for attempt to murder as the ruling and the opposition engaged in blame game over the incident.
Chandy,who arrived in the state capital in the wee hours,is undergoing treatment at the Medical College hospital for the forehead injury and swelling on the chest,hit by a stone during the incident in Kannur.
Doctors attending on 70-year-old Chandy said his condition was stable but advised complete rest for three days compelling him to cancel all engagements,including the mass contact programme at Kollam on Tuesday.
In overnight search,police rounded up 22 CPI(M) workers from different parts of Kannur and arrested 17 of them,who were remanded.
They had been charged with IPC 307 (attempt to murder),324 (voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons or means) and other sections including unlawful assembly.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The police also registered cases against a large number of CPI(M) leaders,including MLAs from the district K K Naryanan and C Krishnan.
State Home Minister Thiruvanchur Radhakrishnan said the incident during a LDF protest was a planned attack and wanted the CPI(M) to leadership to call off their agitation over the solar scam.
What happened yesterday was a planned attack as the LDF volunteers have been blocking the Chief Minister’s engagement across the state for the last five months,the Minister told reporters.
CPI(M) state Secretary Pinarayi Vijayan vehemently denied involvement of LDF workers in the attack and dared the government to conduct a thorough investigation to track down the real culprits instead of haunting the CPI(M) activists.
Chandy had a steady stream of visitors including Governor Nikhil Kumar,CPI(M) stalwart and opposition leader V S Achuthanandan and ministers and Congress leaders.
The ongoing campaign by CPI(M)-led LDF over solar panel scam turned violent last evening as protesters allegedly pelted stones at Chandy at Kannur,where he had gone to attend a couple of engagements including the valedictory of the state police athletic meet.
In view of the incident,the state government has proposed to provide “Z” category security to Chandy.
Squarely blaming the CPI(M) for the attack on Chandy,KPCC President Ramesh Chennithala said it showed the party was resorting to violent means as their campaigns failed to receive people’s support.
The contention of Pinarayi Vijayan was not going to be taken seriously by the people as it was only a face-saving excuse,Chennithala told reporters.
“The CPI(M) cannot absolve itself from the incident. What has happened has shamed Kerala as an elected chief minister had been premeditatedly targetted,” he said.
The Congress also organised protest meetings across the state in the evening over the incident.
The district leaders of the LDF in Kannur alleged the stone-pelting was the handiwork of a hired goons brought engaged by some Congress leaders to malign the LDF.