West Bengal CM and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee Tuesday said the passage of Telangana Bill in Lok Sabha by voice vote despite her party’s demand for division is “worse than Emergency”. Trinamool has asked for an appointment with President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday to lodge its protest.
“Parliamentary procedure requires that even if one MP asks for division it should be allowed. The fact that despite our party, which has 29 MPs in the two Houses, asking for a division, and a government which is anyway in a comatose state tries to bulldoze a constitution amendment Bill is worse than Emergency, a disaster for democracy. My party has asked for time from the President to protest… The Bill effectively has not been passed because what happened was illegal,” Banerjee said minutes before meeting activist Anna Hazare at the party’s South Avenue office.
The Bill, however, was not a constitution amendment Bill.
The Trinamool chief said passing the Bill in a rush was a piece of political gimmickry that the UPA government has resorted to in the garb of a Parliament session to pass vote on account, knowing fully well that its “time is limited”.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016