Rajiv Gandhi case convict Robert Payas seeks mercy killing

By: Express News Service | Chennai | Updated: June 22, 2017 9:36 am
Sri Lankan convict, Euthanasia, Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, Edappadi K Palaniswami A 46-year-old Sri Lankan convict in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case has written to the Tamil Nadu government seeking euthanasia. Representational Image.

A 46-year-old Sri Lankan convict in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case has written to the Tamil Nadu government seeking euthanasia. Robert Payas has pleaded that he does not want to live as he has lost hope for justice. The convict, who was 20 when he was arrested in 1991, said that he completed 26 years in prison on June 11 and the Centre and the state governments want him to die there.

Payas said that his family has been unable to visit him for several years. “Justice D P Wadhwa found me innocent but still I have gone through this 26-year imprisonment. I lost my hope, I realise that I will not be released. I request you to facilitate my mercy killing and send my body to my family,” he said in a letter to CM Edappadi K Palaniswami.

1. KAPILDEVSURI
    Jun 22, 2017 at 1:47 pm
    shame on judicial conduct . he has already completed life sentence of 26 years . he should be set free till now. The present govt of MODI SHOULD LOOK INTO THE CASE AND SET FREE THE YOUTH WHO HAVE LOST FAITH IN OUR COURTS . .
    (0)(0)
      SS
      Jun 22, 2017 at 12:18 pm
      Do not disappoint him !!!
      (0)(0)
      1. Annu Chopra
        Jun 22, 2017 at 11:21 am
        slit his throat and let him bleed to death
        (0)(0)
        1. KAPILDEVSURI
          Jun 22, 2017 at 1:51 pm
          you seem to be a devil ?.
          (0)(0)
          Kamalnathan
          Jun 22, 2017 at 10:53 am
          Why these murderers wants MERCY KILLING? Let them kill theirself... nobody will no question. These raakshaks should not come outside. This life imprisonment punishment is better than hanging. Now they are realizing the life... isn't? Let them live in jail until their death.
          (0)(0)
          1. T
            TIHAEwale
            Jun 22, 2017 at 10:39 am
            Robert Payas kill urself by drinking phenol kept in prison toilet. ur a burden who could not earn your food but was involved in assassination of Rajiv Gandhi
            (0)(0)