Four-year-old mauled to death by dogs in Puri

Kanha was declared brought dead at the Puri headquarters hospital.

Written by Debabrata Mohanty | Bhubaneswar | Updated: December 2, 2016 9:27 am

A four-year-old boy, who was mauled by a pack of stray dogs while playing outside his home in Jagannath Colony area of Puri at around 10 am Thursday, died on way to hospital. Recalling the incident, Kanak Rout, mother of four-year-old Kanha, said, “He asked me for permission to fly kites. I was cooking and asked him to go to my sister. I found him lying unconscious when I went to look for him later. A few dogs were mauling him.”

The child’s aunt, Kaincha Swain, said, “He was with me and suddenly disappeared. A few minutes later I could hear his screams and found five-six dogs around him. While one was mauling his leg, another was attacking his hand. Two others were mauling his head. Another was on his neck.”

The dogs escaped when locals gathered on the spot.  Kanha was declared brought dead at the Puri headquarters hospital.  Jayant Sarangi, Puri Municipality Chairman, said the sterilisation of dogs would start soon.

Mercury
    Dec 2, 2016 at 5:07 am
    You support humanism, so you must support culling of stray canines ? Support culling of canines ! Long live, long live ....
    (0)(0)
    1. G
      Gopal
      Dec 2, 2016 at 4:27 am
      Remember it is activists who have contributed to this menace. And let's not forget the role of the courts who have stopped these animal from being removed from our streets. Add to this the thousands who contract rabies every year and the uncounted who are bitten. Removal of stray animals is critical to safety, health and good hygiene.
      (0)(0)
      1. H
        harun
        Dec 2, 2016 at 2:39 am
        These animal activist must first subject their kids to stray Dog test and then make a hue and cry when they are done away
        (0)(0)
        1. N
          NRI
          Dec 2, 2016 at 1:02 am
          Where are the animal lovers? Do they value life of a child less than that of stray dogs. I love dogs don't take me wrong. Dogs don't belong in the streets. Period. Save them in a sanctuary or at home. Remove them from the street.
          (0)(0)
          1. N
            Niladrinath Mohanty
            Dec 2, 2016 at 4:29 am
            Animal lover Maneka hi- any views?
            (0)(0)