Two persons died after a Scorpio driven by a Punjab Police constable hit them at Jassowla on Sunday evening.
The victims,Gurjeet Singh, a resident of Darshana Colony in Ablowal, and Sandeep Kaur, a resident of Bhadson road locality, were travelling on a two-wheeler when the Scorpio, driven by constable Navjot Singh, hit them.
- Ramjas student dead, two injured in Burari hit-and-run
- Business as usual for bus drivers on ‘killer’ Kharar-Morinda road
- 30-yr-old dies, five injured as SUV rams into truck in Mehrauli
- Mohali: 2 killed in separate road accidents
- Vehicle pile-ups leave one dead, many injured as visibility severely hit
- Cop fires to nab hit-and-run suspect
An officer said that the Scorpio was on the wrong side of the road and that it was a head-on collision.
Navjot tried to flee from the scene after abandoning the vehicle but was soon nabbed by the police.
“We found an empty beer bottle in the Scorpio. We have recommended that Navjot’s blood be tested for alcohol and any other drug,” said Jatinder Garg, inquiry officer in the case.
The officer added that the Scorpio dragged the two-wheeler some distance after hitting it.
After the accident, people staged a protest at the accident site.