A man allegedly involved in the gangrape of a 20-year-old woman in Mari Mustafa village was arrested here even as raids were on on Friday to trace four other accused who are on the run.
Jaswant Singh, one of the accused, has been arrested in the gangrape case, IG (Bathinda zone) P S Umranangal said today.
- To crack rape case, Delhi cops went undercover on New Year’s Eve
- Nine days after battling with life, 14-year old gangrape victim dies in Assam
- Out to relieve herself, woman raped by three at knife-point
- ‘Gangrape’ of cancer patient: Two more held
- Gangrape at gunpoint in UP: Attackers circulate video, all three arrested
- Punjab schoolgirl gangraped, bleeds to death after family denies her medical help
He said police teams have been carrying out raids to arrest others involved in the case.
In her complaint, the victim alleged that she had gone to her friend Sarabjit’s residence with a male friend on Wednesday and they both decided to stay there as the friend’s husband identified as Jaswant Singh was not at home.
However, Jaswant returned home late at night with a group of around eight friends.
They allegedly thrashed the victim’s male friend who sustained a fracture in the leg.
The victim said that she was then taken to a tubewell outside the village where she was allegedly gangraped.
Police said that a medical board had been constituted to examine the victim. A case of rape has been registered against Jaswant Singh and several others.
The district has been in the news lately for cases of attack on women.
A woman and her teenage daughter were allegedly molested and thrown off a moving bus on Wednesday evening, leaving the girl dead and mother seriously wounded.