A man allegedly involved in the gangrape of a 20-year-old woman in Mari Mustafa village was arrested here even as raids were on on Friday to trace four other accused who are on the run.
Jaswant Singh, one of the accused, has been arrested in the gangrape case, IG (Bathinda zone) P S Umranangal said today.
- ‘Gangraped’ teen commits suicide in Bagpat, 5 arrested
- Four accused in rape of minor girl arrested in Muzaffarpur
- Shakti Mills gangrape convict: released from reformatory 22-year-old held for assault, extortion bid
- Rajasthan: School manager, teacher booked for gangrape, forceful abortion of minor student
- Jewar gangrape and murder case: Police arrest four suspects after encounter
- Gurugram gangrape: Two held for rape of woman, murder of infant
He said police teams have been carrying out raids to arrest others involved in the case.
In her complaint, the victim alleged that she had gone to her friend Sarabjit’s residence with a male friend on Wednesday and they both decided to stay there as the friend’s husband identified as Jaswant Singh was not at home.
However, Jaswant returned home late at night with a group of around eight friends.
They allegedly thrashed the victim’s male friend who sustained a fracture in the leg.
The victim said that she was then taken to a tubewell outside the village where she was allegedly gangraped.
Police said that a medical board had been constituted to examine the victim. A case of rape has been registered against Jaswant Singh and several others.
The district has been in the news lately for cases of attack on women.
A woman and her teenage daughter were allegedly molested and thrown off a moving bus on Wednesday evening, leaving the girl dead and mother seriously wounded.