A day after the Assam Police arrested 10 members of the newly floated United People’s Liberation Army (UPLA), which was responsible for killing Hamren SP Nityananda Goswami and his PSO Ratul Nunisa last week, further operations on Wednesday led to the recovery of six AK-47 rifles and two pistols which, included the weapons of the SP and his PSO.
While the 10 militants, including their self-styled commander-in-chief Nikunja Kathar and his deputy Longnin Teron, were arrested from near Dimapur in Nagaland, the Assam Police on Wednesday trekked more than three hours through dense jungles close to the Assam-Meghalaya border in Hamren sub-division to recover six AK-47 rifles, one under-barrel grenade launcher, two pistols and some ammunition. These were dug out from a pit where the militants had concealed them after killing the SP and his PSO on June 6.
“While the recovered items included the service pistol of the SP and the AK-47 rifle of his PSO Ratul Nunisa, the remaining weapons were in possession of the militants when they attacked the officer.
This is the first time that the police have been able to make such quick arrest of culprits and recovery of weapons. The case has now become stronger for us because of the recovery of the SP’s weapon,” Assam Police ADG A P Rout said.
Hamren SP Nityananda Goswami had gone out personally, leading an operation against the militant group on June 6, and came face to face with a gang of 10 to 15 heavily armed militants after he had proceeded into the jungles along with five police personnel.
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
Four of the personnel fled the scene, leaving the SP and his PSO behind. The two were brutally killed and their bodies dumped in a pit. Goswami’s body was recovered only after about 14 hours of the incident.