Polling will take place on Wednesday in six constituencies spread across four north-eastern states in round two of the nine-phase Lok Sabha elections.
Elections to the sole Lok Sabha seat in Mizoram was postponed to April 11 on Tuesday following a state-wide bandh called against exercise of franchise by Bru voters lodged in Tripura camps through postal ballots.
Voting will be held in one seat each in Nagaland and Manipur and two seats each in Arunchal Pradesh and Meghalaya. In Arunachal Pradesh, simultaneous elections will be held for 49 of the 60 Assembly seats. The campagning in these constituencies has already ended.
Nagaland’s lone Parliamentary seat will see only three candidates – Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio (NPF), Congress’ KV Pusa and Akheu Achumi of Socialist Party (India) in the race.
An electorate of 11,79,881 will be eligible to cast their votes. Elections will be held tomorrow in Outer Manipur Lok Sabha seat, one of the two Lok Sabha constituencies in Manipur.Among the 10 contestants are nominees of BJP, Congress, Trinamool Congress, Naga People’s Front, NCP, JD(U) and Aam Admi Party. Three independents are also in the fray.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Prominent candidates are sitting Congress MP Thangso Baite, Gangmumei Kamei (BJP), C. Doungel (NCP), Kim Gangte (Trinamool Congress), Soso Lorho (Naga People’s Front), L Gangte (JD-U) and MK Zou (AAP).
Out of total electorate of 9,11,699, 4,63,068 are women. There are 511 polling booths. Polling for the second seat in the state, Inner Manipur constituency will be held on April 17.
In Arunachal Pradesh, Western and Eastern parliamentary constituencies will witness a multi-cornered contest among Congress, BJP, NCP, PPA and independents.
Among the eight candidates in the Western seat are Congress nominee and sitting MP Takam Sanjoy locking horns with former MP Kiren Rijiju, a BJP nominee.