Against the backdrop of debacle in Lok Sabha polls, voices for bringing Priyanka Gandhi to the forefront if politics grew stronger within the Congress party with at least two leaders today saying she is a “big fighter” and has the “natural ability” to connect with people.
Outgoing Food Minister K V Thomas said there should be internal party elections in the Congress right from the booth-level.
“As a congressman, we wish that Priyanka Gandhi should come to the main arena. She should work with mother Sonia Gandhi and brother Rahul Gandhi as a team,” said Thomas.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
“Priyanka is a big fighter. We have seen that in this election. Many people see madam Indira Gandhi in her. She is able to attract the people,” said Thomas, who won the Lok Sabha election from Ernakulum constituency in Kerala.
He was asked about the reasons for defeat of the Congress party in the just-concluded general elections and steps needed to be taken for revival of the party.
He insisted that Rahul should not be blamed for the debacle, saying “We work as a team. So team has to share victory as well as defeat”.
On the reasons for defeat, he said, “What went wrong, we have to analayse that. UPA I and II have taken number of initiatives like Right to Food and MNREGA. Economy has also improved. But we could not convey our achievements to people.”
On the other hand, the Congress leader said, Modi was “one-man army” who got backing of RSS and corporate houses.
“We respect the verdict of the people. Let him (Narendra Modi) do the good job. We will play the role of a healthy and constructive opposition”.
Raju, outgoing HRD minister, said Priyanka has always been supportive of Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi.
“Whether she will come to the forefront is a personal choice… I think she has a natural ability to connect with the people… It is indeed a strength,” Raju said, adding her association with Congres is “integral”.
Congress party has always maintained that Priyanka’s role was limited to Amethi and Rae Bareli in this election.