Against the backdrop of debacle in Lok Sabha polls, voices for bringing Priyanka Gandhi to the forefront if politics grew stronger within the Congress party with at least two leaders today saying she is a “big fighter” and has the “natural ability” to connect with people.
Outgoing Food Minister K V Thomas said there should be internal party elections in the Congress right from the booth-level.
“As a congressman, we wish that Priyanka Gandhi should come to the main arena. She should work with mother Sonia Gandhi and brother Rahul Gandhi as a team,” said Thomas.
“Priyanka is a big fighter. We have seen that in this election. Many people see madam Indira Gandhi in her. She is able to attract the people,” said Thomas, who won the Lok Sabha election from Ernakulum constituency in Kerala.
He was asked about the reasons for defeat of the Congress party in the just-concluded general elections and steps needed to be taken for revival of the party.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
He insisted that Rahul should not be blamed for the debacle, saying “We work as a team. So team has to share victory as well as defeat”.
On the reasons for defeat, he said, “What went wrong, we have to analayse that. UPA I and II have taken number of initiatives like Right to Food and MNREGA. Economy has also improved. But we could not convey our achievements to people.”
On the other hand, the Congress leader said, Modi was “one-man army” who got backing of RSS and corporate houses.
“We respect the verdict of the people. Let him (Narendra Modi) do the good job. We will play the role of a healthy and constructive opposition”.
Raju, outgoing HRD minister, said Priyanka has always been supportive of Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi.
“Whether she will come to the forefront is a personal choice… I think she has a natural ability to connect with the people… It is indeed a strength,” Raju said, adding her association with Congres is “integral”.
Congress party has always maintained that Priyanka’s role was limited to Amethi and Rae Bareli in this election.