An astute leader, inspiring orator and a committed party worker, M Venkaiah Naidu became the BJP president in 2002 and is among the party’s prominent faces from southern India.
This is his second stint as a Union Minister, after heading the Rural Development Ministry in the year 2000.
Hailing from a a remote village named Chavatapalem in Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh, the 65-year-old leader is a Rajya Sabha member from neighbouring Karnataka.
After graduating from V R College, Nellore, he obtained law degree from Andhra University at Visakhapatnam. He was also the president of Students Union, Andhra University Colleges in 1973.
Commencing his political journey as president of the youth wing of Janata Party in Andhra Pradesh, he has held a number of positions in BJP. He was elected twice to the Legislative Assembly in Andhra Pradesh and to the Rajya Sabha three times.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
An experienced Parliamentarian, Naidu was a member of various Standing Committees including External Affairs and Finance. Presently, he is the Vice-President of the Parliamentary Forum on Disaster Management.
Naidu was a Union Minister of Rural Development between eptember 30, 2000 and June 30, 2002 in Atal Bihari Vajpayee government. Later he functioned as the national President of BJP from July 2002 to October 2004.