As his selection from Barmer seat virtually sparked a revolt by Jaswant Singh, Sonaram Chowdhry on Saturday made it clear that he had the support of Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje but evaded queries on the veteran leader, saying the issue will be handled by seniors.
“The issue of Jaswant Singh is a top level matter and I am a new entrant in BJP. I cannot comment on this. It is for the Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje and other seniors to handle. She showed faith in my calibre and I will prove my mettle,” Sonaram said.
A section of BJP, including Jaswant Singh’s supporters, have protested after he was denied ticket and Sonaram’s candidature was announced on Friday but the former Congress MP and MLA, who joined BJP three days back, is unfazed by the development.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Sonaram, who lost the state assembly election last year as a Congress candidate, said, “I am confident that I will win by an impressive majority. There are local issues pertaining to development which I will be taking up and focusing on during campaigning.
“There is impact of Modi wave in Rajasthan too and the government formed by the BJP will provide people relief and also development and growth.” A Jat leader, Sonaram had been vocal against former chief minister Ashok Gehlot and his functioning.
“I have been a critic of Ashok Gehlot as he promoted leaders who had no ground. He sidelined seniors in the state which resulted in unprecedented debacle in assembly elections. “The way he mishandled the project of oil refinery is a known by all,” he said.
Sonaram said that he explained the situation to Congress high command several times but no action against anyone was taken. “Because of the sorry state of affairs in Congress, I joined BJP with a new hope,” he said. Jaswant Singh, who is the sitting MP from Darjeeling (West Bengal), may contest as independent candidate. It will make the contest triangular with Singh, Sonaram and sitting MP Harish Chaudhary of Congress in the fray.
Singh on Saturday told reporters that he will hold discussions with his supporters in Barmer on reaching there tomorrow before announcing his decision on March 24. Singh’s supporters in Barmer damaged some party hoardings over denial of ticket to him.