Apart from the high-stakes battle, the Varanasi constituency has achieved the distinction of having the highest number of 42 candidates in fray in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, though it has to share the honour with Chennai South which has an equal number of contestants.
BJP’s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, Aam Aadmi Party supremo Arvind Kejriwal, Ajay Rai of Congress, Vijay Prakash Jaiswal of BSP and Samajwadi Party’s Kailash Chaurasiya are among the 42 candidates in contention in Varanasi which goes to polls in the last phase of the Lok Sabha elections on Monday.
Polling in Chennai South was held on April 24 in the sixth phase. Those among the 42 aspirants were T K S Elangovan of DMK, BJP’s La Ganesan, V Balaji of BSP, S V Ramani of Congress and AIADMK’s J Jayavardhan.
Incidentally, there were 43 contestants in the fray in the Chennai South seat during the 2009 polls, while 35 candidates fought in the 2004 elections, the highest number both times for any Lok Sabha constituency in the country, according to Election Commission data.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Neighbouring Chennai North this time had 40 candidates in the fray.
The Raipur seat, which went to polls on April 24, had 36 contestants vying for top honours that included Ramesh Bais of BJP, BSP’s Guruji Virendra Kumar Dahariya and Satya Narayan Sharma of Congress.
In Amethi, where Rahul Gandhi is fighting for a third consecutive term, there were a total of 34 aspirants.
Among other constituencies, Dhanbad had 31 candidates, Malkajgiri and Secunderabad 30 each and Muzaffarpur, Bathinda, and Lucknow 29 each.