Resenting his transfer from Mizoram “without consulting him”, Nagaland Governor Vakkom B Purushothaman on Friday resigned from the post.
The 86-year-old Congress veteran said that he sent his resignation to President Pranab Mukherjee this morning.
Though he did not raise any political or procedural issue in his resignation letter, Purushothaman told reporters that governors had been treated in a manner which was “not fair” after the NDA Government assumed power.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“Governors are constitutional authorities. It is grossly improper to transfer them just like any other government official.That is not fair,” he said.
Purushothaman, who held key portfolios in the UDF ministries in Kerala and a two-time Congress MP, said, “I feel that the governor’s position has been insulted.”
“The transfer was made without consulting me,” he said
He, however, said no one had asked him to resign but he took serious exception to the way some other UPA-era governors were sounded out to step down reportedly by Home Secretary.
“It was a grave mistake. How can a secretary call the governor and ask him to resign?,” he said.
Purushothaman said he would return to politics as a Congress worker but would not be seeking any electoral positions.
In a reshuffle of governors on July 6, Gujarat Governor Kamala Beniwal was transferred to Mizoram while Purushothaman was transferred and appointed as Governor of Nagaland. He was also given additional charge of the office of Governor of Tripura.
Those who resigned after the NDA government reportedly asked them to put in their papers are B L Joshi (Uttar Pradesh), M K Narayanan (West Bengal), Shekhar Dutt (Chhattisgarh), Ashwani Kumar (Nagaland) and B V Wanchoo (Goa).