MDMK general secretary Vaiko, a self-confessed fan of American president Barack Obama, Saturday released the party’s manifesto for the upcoming Lok Sabha election promising, among other things, a United States of India — in letter and spirit.
The party is a junior ally in the NDA in Tamil Nadu and Vaiko is its star candidate among the seven it is fielding.
Though the Constitution envisaged a federal structure of governance, the Union governments began gradually infringing upon and appropriating the powers of the states, creating a monolith at the Centre, noted the manifesto.
To strengthen the unity of the nation and to bring about a truly federal system by strengthening the states, the Constitution should be revised, it said. It also said that “instead of calling our country the Union of India, it should be named the United States of India.”
The UPA government ignored the opinion of states while drafting legislations on food security, SEZs, FDI in retail, revenue allocation and GM crop trials. This situation cannot be allowed to continue, it said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Though Vaiko has positioned himself as the main cheerleader for BJP and its PM candidate Narendra Modi, the party has reaffirmed its unequivocal opposition to a Uniform Civil Code, one of the principal issues of Hindutva politics.
The manifesto also said it will work for the implementation of the recommendations by Sachar and Ranganath Mishra Committee regarding education and employment of Muslims.
The concessions given to SC communities will also be extended to Dalit Christians, the document assured.