Former Army chief General V K Singh on Friday filed his nomination as the BJP candidate from Ghaziabad, declaring his age as “62 years and 11 months” — the age he had claimed when he had gone to the Supreme Court.
He had been embroiled in a controversy over his age after he contended that his date of birth should be treated as May 10, 1951, as mentioned in his matriculation certificate, for the purpose of retirement. The Defence Ministry rejected it, saying May 10, 1950 was the date he had entered in his UPSC form for NDA. Singh had contested this in the Supreme Court but later withdrew his petition.
While filing his papers Friday, Singh confirmed that the age in his nomination papers was the same as the one in his “matriculation certificate”.
Flanked by supporters, he said, “The issues that I am fighting this election are the ones that concern the people directly, beginning from good, strong governance.”
Shazia Ilmi, the AAP candidate for the constituency who also filed her nomination on Friday, said Singh will have to deal with a certain degree of anti-incumbency. “No development has taken place in Ghaziabad, in spite of a prominent leader like Rajnath Singh being the sitting MP here. There has been no development and that’s something V K Singh will have to answer for,” she said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review