On the eve of polling for the lone Rajya Sabha seat in Uttarakhand, BJP-backed Independent candidate Geeta Thakur Friday announced her plans to join Congress. In another setback, BJP MLA Dan Singh Bhandari resigned from Assembly late Friday evening.
Thakur, a Dalit, who was BJP’s state secretary and had contested Assembly election as the party’s nominee in 2012, is learnt to have written to Chief Minister Harish Rawat, expressing her wish to join Congress. While Thakur was not available for her comments, Rawat’s media advisor Surendra Agrawal said: “She has expressed her wish to come back to Congress. The party has welcomed her. She had been with Congress earlier.”
- Ahead of Amit Shah’s visit, Congress MLA quits to join BJP in Amethi
- BSP expels 2 Dalit leaders, one says ‘refused Maya money’
- Crisis deepens for Congress in Gujarat, sixth MLA quits
- Uttarakhand: Cong nominee Pradeep Tamta wins RS seat with PDF support, BJP ‘not disappointed’
- BJP's Geeta Thakur resigns, accuses BJP of 'anti-Dalit mindset'
- Rajya Sabha elections: Congress wins lone seat from Uttarakhand, defeating BJP-backed candidate
The voting for the lone Rajya Sabha seat was necessitated because two of the BJP-supported leaders filed nomination as Independents.