In the eye of the storm for using a pepper spray in the Lok Sabha to stall tabling of the Telangana Bill on Thursday, expelled Congress MP L Rajagopal claimed he did it in self-defence. While TDP MP M Venugopala Reddy denied reports that he had brandished a knife, he alleged that he was assaulted by 10 members.
“I went to rescue TDP MP M Venugopala Reddy who was targeted by Congress MPs while he was protesting in the well of the House. I immediately rushed from the other side to protect him. They started attacking me. So as self-defence, I used the pepper spray,” Rajagopal told reporters outside the House.
He claimed he carries a pepper spray for self-protection as he faces “great threat” from pro-Telangana protesters. “Pepper spray is a defensive thing which women are using nowadays when they come under attack. Here, I was under attack. I don’t want to use any lethal weapons. I am a person who never has any security. So I felt that like women are protecting themselves, let me also have something… because I know how these divisive forces… how they created ruckus on many occasions. So I always carry that in my pocket, and I used it the moment they started attacking,” said Rajagopal.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
He also demanded that the MPs who attacked him and Reddy should be suspended.
Reddy even named some MPs who allegedly attacked him. “I was not carrying a knife inside the House. This is a lie being spread by the government. I was holding a mike which may have looked like a knife,” said Reddy. “The Congress MPs turned marshals today and pounced on me,” he said.
“I was beaten by Raj Babbar, Ponnam Prabhakar, Anjan Kumar Yadav, Nama Nageswara Rao, Vijayashanti, Nama Nageshwar Rao and three-four other MPs,” he claimed. Interestingly, Nama Nageswara Rao is the TDP leader of the House.