In the eye of the storm for using a pepper spray in the Lok Sabha to stall tabling of the Telangana Bill on Thursday, expelled Congress MP L Rajagopal claimed he did it in self-defence. While TDP MP M Venugopala Reddy denied reports that he had brandished a knife, he alleged that he was assaulted by 10 members.
“I went to rescue TDP MP M Venugopala Reddy who was targeted by Congress MPs while he was protesting in the well of the House. I immediately rushed from the other side to protect him. They started attacking me. So as self-defence, I used the pepper spray,” Rajagopal told reporters outside the House.
He claimed he carries a pepper spray for self-protection as he faces “great threat” from pro-Telangana protesters. “Pepper spray is a defensive thing which women are using nowadays when they come under attack. Here, I was under attack. I don’t want to use any lethal weapons. I am a person who never has any security. So I felt that like women are protecting themselves, let me also have something… because I know how these divisive forces… how they created ruckus on many occasions. So I always carry that in my pocket, and I used it the moment they started attacking,” said Rajagopal.
He also demanded that the MPs who attacked him and Reddy should be suspended.
Reddy even named some MPs who allegedly attacked him. “I was not carrying a knife inside the House. This is a lie being spread by the government. I was holding a mike which may have looked like a knife,” said Reddy. “The Congress MPs turned marshals today and pounced on me,” he said.
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
“I was beaten by Raj Babbar, Ponnam Prabhakar, Anjan Kumar Yadav, Nama Nageswara Rao, Vijayashanti, Nama Nageshwar Rao and three-four other MPs,” he claimed. Interestingly, Nama Nageswara Rao is the TDP leader of the House.