In what many see as an attempt by the US to warm up to the Narendra Modi government, US Secretary of State John Kerry has called up External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
According to reports, the External Affairs Minister said that she discussed the issue of re-energising strategic partnership between the two countries.
During Kerry’s call, focus was on enhancing trade and economic ties to USD 500 billion.
Kerry called late on Wednesday night and was the first among the international leaders to call Swaraj, an MEA spokesperson said on Thursday.
Swaraj, on her part, emphasised on the importance India gives to strengthening the international partnership.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
She also briefed Kerry on India’s engagement with the SAARC countries including Pakistan.
Both are looking forward to meeting each other, the spokesperson said.
This comes after US President Barack Obama congratulated Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a phone call and discussed Indo-US strategic partnership.
Obama had told Modi that the largest democracy in the world had given a decisive mandate. The US leader had also expressed the hope that under Modi’s leadership, India would play a significant role on the global stage.
The Obama Administration also said that Modi was welcome to visit the US.
(With PTI Inputs)