In what many see as an attempt by the US to warm up to the Narendra Modi government, US Secretary of State John Kerry has called up External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
According to reports, the External Affairs Minister said that she discussed the issue of re-energising strategic partnership between the two countries.
During Kerry’s call, focus was on enhancing trade and economic ties to USD 500 billion.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Kerry called late on Wednesday night and was the first among the international leaders to call Swaraj, an MEA spokesperson said on Thursday.
Swaraj, on her part, emphasised on the importance India gives to strengthening the international partnership.
She also briefed Kerry on India’s engagement with the SAARC countries including Pakistan.
Both are looking forward to meeting each other, the spokesperson said.
This comes after US President Barack Obama congratulated Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a phone call and discussed Indo-US strategic partnership.
Obama had told Modi that the largest democracy in the world had given a decisive mandate. The US leader had also expressed the hope that under Modi’s leadership, India would play a significant role on the global stage.
The Obama Administration also said that Modi was welcome to visit the US.
(With PTI Inputs)