Himachal Assembly Speaker BBL Butail was on Monday visibly distressed and overcome with emotion as he expressed anguish over frequent disruption of the House and was later hospitalised.
As soon as the House assembled, the Speaker expressed unhappiness over frequent disruption of the House by opposition seeking discussion over developments in the money laundering and disproportionate assets cases registered against Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh by the ED and CBI and appealed to the members to let the House run smoothly.
- Himachal Pradesh polls: A rebel in her way, BJP's Indu Goswami hopes to break trend
- In Himachal, a septuagenarian vs an octogenarian fight for the hot seat
- Himachal Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Palampur set for interesting contest
- Congress fields CM Virbhadra Singh's son Vikramaditya from Shimla Rural in final list of candidates
- Himachal Pradesh Assembly Speaker to act tough in independent MLAs' case
- Controversial Co-op Societies Bill passed
In a voice choked with emotion, he said that an all party meeting was held last evening in this regard and appealed to the BJP members to help in maintaining a cordial atmosphere.
Looking at his condition, Health and Family Minister Kaul Singh Thakur asked him to take rest and said that Deputy
Speaker Jagat Singh Negi would conduct the House.
BJP member Gulab Singh, whose question was listed at the top, told the speaker that he was aware of his agony and pain but certain developments had taken place which must be raised in the house.
The Chief Minister and Leader of the Opposition P K Dhumal also went to his chamber and tried to comfort the visibly upset Speaker. The chief minister requested him to go to the hospital.
Seventy-five year old Butail was taken to IGMC Hospital and admitted to Cardiac Care Unit (CCU).
“Butail’s condition has improved and besides routine tests, eco test and CT scan has also been conducted and everything is normal”, Dr Romesh Chand, Medical Superintendent of IGMC said, adding that he has been admitted to CCU and is under observation.
The opposition BJP, which had been disrupting the question hour for past six days since the House reassembled after nine days recess, participated in the question hour today with Deputy Speaker Negi in chair.