The Kerala unit of the CPI is in turmoil over the finding that the party had made a Church nominee its candidate in the last LS election after accepting a large sum of money from him.
The state council on Saturday took disciplinary action against three senior leaders over the candidature of Bennet Abraham from state capital. Abraham had lost to Congress’s Shashi Tharoor.
Following an internal inquiry, senior leaders C Divakaran and P Ramachandran Nair were removed from the state executive and Venjarammood Sasi was removed as district secretary. Divakaran was shunted to the state council and Nair to the district executive.
However, the disciplinary action has only contributed to the chaos in the party. On Sunday, Sasi challenged the leadership, demanding that Raveendran should quit as he was responsible for foisting Abraham as a candidate.
“Raveendran is only a puppet secretary. He knew that Abraham had sourced Rs 1.87 crore for the election. The action against us was merely an eyewash.’’
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The other two leaders, who faced disciplinary action, had said they would not accept the punitive step. The leaders said they were victims of factionalism and conspiracy of a section of leaders in the party.
Trouble has been brewing in the CPI over Abraham’s candidature since the election days. A section of party cadres had alleged that by making Abraham the candidate, the CPI had made the seat a “payment seat.’’ The proposal for Abraham’s candidature was rejected by the district council, but he was given the ticket after intervention of higher fractions in the party. The probe found that Divakaran, Nair and Sasi had pushed for Abraham’s candidature.
It was found that Abraham had deposited Rs 1.87 crore with the CPI for the election. Abraham collected that amount from various Church units. The controversy has impaired the image of the CPI, which has managed to remain united in Kerala while CPM was struggle to cope with internal revolt.