Back in the electoral fray after skipping the Assembly polls in 2009, Vaiko-led MDMK, an ally of BJP in Tamil Nadu has batted for ‘United States of India’ to ensure more powers to states.
Releasing his party’s manifesto here, party President Vaiko said “Federalism must be protected to safeguard unity and integrity of India. We feel there is a necessity to bring amendments to the Constitution and form United States of India.”
MDMK, a strong supporter of LTTE, also promised to strive for revoking the ban on the outfit and for a referendum on the Lankan Tamils issue for a separate ‘Eelam’ (Tamil homeland).
Among other things, the party assured the electorate that it would strive to include steps to prevent attacks on Indian fishermen by Lankan naval personnel, official language status for Tamil, retrieval of Katchatheevu islet, 27 per cent reservation in educational institutions like IITs, IIMs and AIIMS, interlinking of rivers, abolishing death penalty and implementing the Sethusamudram Project.
The party also promised to press for closure of the nuclear plant at Kudankulam. MDMK, which has been allotted seven constituencies by the BJP in its alliance, has other demands like a separate agriculture budget, ban on futures trading on essential commodities, effective implementation of the ban on illegal sand mining, seeking a Supreme Court bench in Chennai, retrieving black money stashed abroad and statehood for the Union Territory of Puducherry.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More