Back in the electoral fray after skipping the Assembly polls in 2009, Vaiko-led MDMK, an ally of BJP in Tamil Nadu has batted for ‘United States of India’ to ensure more powers to states.
Releasing his party’s manifesto here, party President Vaiko said “Federalism must be protected to safeguard unity and integrity of India. We feel there is a necessity to bring amendments to the Constitution and form United States of India.”
MDMK, a strong supporter of LTTE, also promised to strive for revoking the ban on the outfit and for a referendum on the Lankan Tamils issue for a separate ‘Eelam’ (Tamil homeland).
Among other things, the party assured the electorate that it would strive to include steps to prevent attacks on Indian fishermen by Lankan naval personnel, official language status for Tamil, retrieval of Katchatheevu islet, 27 per cent reservation in educational institutions like IITs, IIMs and AIIMS, interlinking of rivers, abolishing death penalty and implementing the Sethusamudram Project.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
The party also promised to press for closure of the nuclear plant at Kudankulam. MDMK, which has been allotted seven constituencies by the BJP in its alliance, has other demands like a separate agriculture budget, ban on futures trading on essential commodities, effective implementation of the ban on illegal sand mining, seeking a Supreme Court bench in Chennai, retrieving black money stashed abroad and statehood for the Union Territory of Puducherry.