In its first order under the new government, the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) has made it clear that union ministers will have to select their personal staff from the general pool available. If implemented strictly, this would end the system of handpicking officials, sometimes even relatives, as personal staff.
According to sources, the DoPT sent its circular to all the ministries after the new government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi was sworn in. On May 26, the department also uploaded its earlier instructions in this regard on its website. These include its order that a person cannot serve as a minister’s personal staff for more than 10 years.
In the past, several ministers have appointed their relatives as their personal staff. As reported by The Indian Express in July last year, at least 87 people continued to serve as personal staff of various ministers for over 10 years, with the approval of then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
While the latest advice is applicable to ministers, sources said even Members of Parliament should “get the message”. As reported by The Indian Express in May last year, at least 146 MPs had employed their children and close relatives as personal assistants, in order to retain the allowance paid by the government.
Though there are no rules which ban such appointments, many parliamentarians had cited the issue of propriety. The Rajya Sabha ethics committee had passed a resolution against it in October last year.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Official sources said the move is in keeping with Modi’s “larger view” about probity in public life. “As Chief Minister, he never did any favour to any of his relatives. You did not see any of his relatives at his swearing-in ceremony. He did not even appoint children of top party leaders as ministers. You have to understand his larger view,” said a union minister.