Days after the Congress praised Atal Bihari Vajpayee to target Narendra Modi, the party did a U-turn on Monday calling the BJP veteran “the weakest PM India ever had”, a taunt often directed at Manmohan Singh by the opposition party.
In his tweet, Congress spokesman Sanjay Jha alleged that Vajpayee was the “weakest” Prime Minister as he had failed to protect India’s border and country’s interests while dealing with Pakistan.
He said that Vajpayee had even failed to handle Narendra Modi whom he wanted to remove as Chief Minister in the wake of Gujarat riots in 2002. “The weakest PM ever was AB Vajpayee, who wanted to sack Mr Modi for the ghastly Gujarat massacre, but succumbed to BJP bullying,” he tweeted.
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
The Congress spokesman also took potshots at Vajpayee over his government’s failure in protecting the Indian border and interests while dealing with Pakistan. “The weakest PM India ever had was Atal Bihari Vajpayee who was hugging PM Nawaz Sharif, even as 50 soldiers had lost their lives in Kargil,” Jha tweeted.
“The weakest Prime Minister that India ever had was Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Gen Musharraf spent a night on Indian soil, while the PMO and NDA snored,” he said. In the midst of the poll heat, Congress had showered praises on Vajpayee to attack Modi, asking how can a person whom the tallest leader of BJP “wanted removed” as CM in the wake of Gujarat riots be the party’s PM candidate.
In its official website, the Congress had asserted that no leader in BJP can match the stature of Vajpayee, the founding president of the party.
BJP on Sunday said the book written by former media adviser of Manmohan Singh was an “official confirmation” that he was the “weakest” prime minister and asserted that his office was “dwarfed” during the UPA rule.
The BJP also said that on the eve of relinquishing the office Singh must “seriously introspect” as to how his tenure “impacted” on the institution of prime minister.