BJP on Friday set to rest speculations that Uma Bharti could be fielded against Sonia Gandhi from Rae Bareli after the firebrand leader asserted that she “cannot leave my Jhansi” from where she has already been nominated.
“As far as Uma Bharti is concerned, she will contest from Jhansi,” BJP spokesman Sudhanshu Trivedi told reporters here.
Trivedi said candidates for Rae Bareli as well as Amethi, where Rahul Gandhi is contesting, are yet to be finalised.
There was speculation that the party was considering fielding Bharti, former Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, from Rae Bareli against Gandhi. The speculation gathered momentum after Yoga guru Ramdev suggested it two days back.
The clearing of the air by the party came after Bharti herself asserted that she would not leave Jhansi where she has already been campaigning.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“I am thankful to Baba Ramdev for the proposal. But I cannot leave my Jhansi,” Bharti said. She conveyed the decision to party chief Rajnath Singh.
At the same time, she said she was ready to respect the party decision and contest from Rae Bareli in addition to Jhansi if the leadership wanted.
“If party says I will contest from Rae Bareli also,” she said.