A voter turnout of 82 percent was recorded for the Tripura East (ST) parliamentary constituency on Saturday with no incidents of violence or EVM errors, Tripura’s additional Chief Electoral Officer D C Das said.
Personnel from at least four paramilitary forces — Manipur State Rifles, Assam Rifles, Central Reserve Police and Border Security Force — are assisting the state’s own police force to ensure security in the hilly eastern region, where some ethnic armies are known to still exist and operate and strike sporadically.
The top contenders among the 12 candidates in the fray are the CPM’s Jitendra Chaudhury (who is currently the state’s Industries Minister) and the Congress’ Sachitra Debbarma (a well-known teacher), who was backed by the Indigenous Nationalist Party of Twipra (INPT), a tribal party.
The seat had 1,490 polling stations and 11.35 lakh voters including 5.56 lakh females.
Over 86 percent of 12 lakh eligible voters had voted in elections for the Tripura West constituency, which went to polls April 9.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Polls for the Tripura East (ST) constituency proceeded peacefully with voter turn-out crossing 67% by 2.30 pm, said Tripura Addl CEO D C Das.
Tripura West constituency had gone to polls on April 7, with 86% of eligible voters casting their vote at polling stations.
Voter turn-out for the Tripura East (ST) seat was between 25-26% by 10 am, according to Tripura addl CEO D C Das.
Das added polls have been peaceful with neither security forces nor administration officials reporting any incidents of violence.
A total of 12 candidates are in fray, but CPM’s Jitendra Chaudhary (currently the state’s Industries Minister) and INC’s Sachitra Debbarma (a well-known teacher) are the main contenders.
The CPM has won the seat 10 times since 1952 and has held on to it five consecutive terms since 1996. The INC has won it a total of five times.
An electorate of 11,38,765, including 580497 men, are eligible exercise their franchise in 1,490 polling stations, of which 18 have been identified as very vulnerable and more than 400 as vulnerable.
The Election Commission has set up nine all-women polling stations.
(With PTI inputs)