Countering Narendra Modi’s attack on graft issue, Sonia Gandhi Saturday said those levelling allegations against Congress were “neck-deep” in corruption and challenged BJP to tell what action its governments in states had taken to punish the people involved in scams.
Campaigning for Rahul Gandhi, the Congress president struck a personal note saying her son has worked with “dedication and hardwork” in the “karmabhoomi” of Gandhis and acknowledged the “affection” shown by the people of the constituency towards Rahul and Priyanka Gandhi.
This was perhaps one of those rare times that the Congress President mentioned Priyanka’s name in a party rally. A section in the Congress has been batting for a “bigger role” for her daughter in the party.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Slamming the BJP for levelling allegations against Congress to “hide their misdeeds”, Gandhi said “they are spreading all kinds of canards against us”.
“Those who are neck-deep in corruption are levelling allegations against us…. Congress has given RTI through which a number of corruption cases were exposed and action was taken against those found guilty. I challenge (BJP) to tell what action was taken in the states ruled by them…. Nothing happened,” she said at a rally.
She said that while Congress has swiftly acted against those involved in scams, BJP has done nothing against the people accused of corruption.
Gandhi also accused BJP governments in states of discriminating on the basis of caste, creed, religion and area, unlike Congress, “whose ideology is of equality and unity”.
She also hit back at BJP for accusing Congress of policy paralysis, saying that measures like Right to Education, Food Security Act, Land Acquisition Act and MNRGEA “did not fall from the sky”.
She said that it was because of Congress the country could see white revolution, green revolution, nuclear programme and work on infrastructure projects, adding that in future Congress will start pension, right to shelter besides other scheme.
“You have given love and affection to both Rahul and Priyanka. Amethi is not only a karmabhoomi, it is also the place from where people have worked shoulder to shoulder with the Gandhi family,” she said.
“I am sure that you all will support policies of Congress and ensure victory of Rahul and other candidates. I have handed over Rahul to you in 2004 following the tradition of Indira Gandhi, who had handed over her son Rajiv Gandhi to you,” Gandhi said touching an emotional chord.
Reaching out to the voters of Amethi, Gandhi spelt out various initiatives taken by her son for the development of the region such as strengthening of both rail and road connectivity, setting up of educational institues and skill development centres and health care facilities.
“All these were result of Congress policy..UPA government had done a lot of work in past five years… RTI, MNREGS were brought benefiting people”, she said.
Earlier, Gandhi landed at Fursatganj from where she had take a helicopter till Nandmahar to address the rally but due to bad weather she travelled by road.
At the rally ground too, strong winds damaged the tents and also a big screen installed to beam her address live to the gathering. Gandhi thanked the people for attending the rally despite the inclement weather.