There’s extreme intolerance in India: Shah Rukh Khan on 50th birthday

When asked if he was ready to give up his awards much like those over the past month, Shah Rukh Khan said he would, in a symbolic gesture if asked to.

Written by Express News Service | Mumbai | Updated: November 3, 2015 4:34 am
Shan Rukh Khan, srk, eid, shah rukh khan news, Shan Rukh Khan latest news, Shan Rukh Khan twitter, Shan Rukh Khan fans, Shan Rukh Khan followers, Shan Rukh Khan movies, Shan Rukh Khan upcoming movies, entertainment news Shah Rukh Khan, who turns fifty today, took questions from his Twitter fans.

Actor Shah Rukh Khan Monday joined the chorus against “growing intolerance” in the country, saying that “religious intolerance and not being secular…is the worst kind of crime that you can do as a patriot”.

At a press conference in Mumbai, when asked whether he would return an award — on the lines of what writers and filmmakers have been doing as a form of protest — he said, “No one can force me to do anything I don’t want to, but let me get a National Award, and then I will return it.” He added that he respected the writers for what they are doing.

Watch Video: Discussing The Widening Of The Protest Against ‘Intolerance’

Earlier, talking to India Today TV, he said, “There is intolerance, there is extreme intolerance… there is, I think… there is growing intolerance.”

Related Article

“It is stupid… It is stupid to be intolerant and this is our biggest issue, not just an issue… Religious intolerance and not being secular in this country is the worst kind of crime that you can do as a patriot,” he said.

He added, “People put words into the air even before thinking and here is a secular country. Here’s a country perhaps for the last 10 years that is on the cusp of going beyond what we think.”

On writers and filmmakers returning their awards, he told the TV channel, “I respect those who returned awards, but I don’t have to.”

However, he admitted that being a celebrity, it was tough for him to take a stand on every issue. “We may talk about freedom of speech, but people come outside my house and throw stones,” he said.

He added that no one should question his patriotism. “We will never be a superpower if we are not going to believe that all religions are equal,” he said.

At the press conference, too, he said, “Creativity is secular. Creativity ke andar koi jaat paat, koi dharm nahin aata hai. Kis religion ke hain. Humein kalaakaar se pyaar hai, na ke kahaan se aayein hain (Creativity does not involve caste or religion. We love the artist, not where he is from),” said the actor, who turned 50 Monday.

1. I
    Imran
    Apr 4, 2016 at 2:22 am
    Kk bhai Dubai ki baat mat Karou I m talking about srk and India I have been Dubai all Hindu and other religion make money there they r not citizen
    1. I
      Imran
      Jan 8, 2016 at 12:15 am
      Haters of shahrukh khan u all just wanted a chance to hate him shame on u all shahrukh khan great actor great Indian.haters u wil not be remembered but shahrukh wil be always legend and great great Indian shahrukh is best like amitabh bachan
        Sensirina Teslakawski
        Feb 4, 2016 at 2:16 pm
        If those one or two incidents did happen in your familly maybe you'll understand... shame on you
          KK
          Apr 4, 2016 at 2:07 pm
          Bhai, So you agree you are respected as a Muslim in India. Re Making money, you can make money by cleaning toilets 24 hrs. That's what they have jobs there for many. Only few can open a business with one citizen as shareholder. But in India you get both respect and money.
            Shritha
            Feb 14, 2016 at 10:55 am
            I mean there are many intolrent things happening. Why you choose religious view to your opinion.. It's all for publicity
              Sri
              Aug 12, 2016 at 5:33 pm
              He may be great, but he just tries to blame Majority all the time, even though majority never ever thought or treated he is different. I was once a fan of Sharukh, not anymore. He paint everyone for the act of few
                Sri
                Aug 12, 2016 at 5:41 pm
                I agree with you and i know you did not type it deliberately
                  Sri
                  Aug 12, 2016 at 5:35 pm
                  One or two incident in Billions , yes my family members suffered in train blast in Mumbai, but i dont hate him. Just dont see it from one angle