Fielding namesakes might be the oldest trick in the book to confuse voters, but it is a sure-shot way to cut vote shares of top candidates. Ask Chandu Lal Sahu, the Bharatiya Janata Party candidate from Mahasamund. While Sahu still managed to win against Congress bigwig Ajit Jogi, his 10 namesakes in the poll fray drastically reduced his victory margin.
Sahu, also known as Chandu Bhaiya, in the end had a wafer-thin majority of 1,217 votes. While Sahu secured 5,03,514 votes, Jogi got 5,02,297 votes.
Interestingly, of the 28 candidates in the fray in the constituency, 10 candidates had names similar to Chandu Lal Sahu. The other Sahu’s together accounted for over 70,000 votes, thus eating into the vote share of the BJP candidate. The original Sahu’s margin could actually have been well over 70,000.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Much to the displeasure of Sahu, the second and third runners-up in the constituency were independent candidates with names similar to him, who secured 20,255 votes and 123,08 votes.
Thankfully, the namesakes could not steal the victory from him.