In high praise for Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Congress leader Shashi Tharoor has said that he (Modi) has remodelled himself from a “hate figure” to an “avatar of modernity and progress”. He also said it would be “churlish” of the Congress to ignore his “inclusive and accommodative” outreach.
“Just as he remade himself from a hate figure into an avatar of modernity and progress, he is seeking to remake the BJP from a vehicle of Hindu chauvinism to a natural party of governance. This will mean a change in both language and tone, as he has demonstrated,” Tharoor wrote in The Huffington Post.
“…Modi has gone out of his way to avoid confrontational language, to omit issues… that India’s religious minorities would find offensive, and to extend a hand of friendship to his critics,” he wrote.
Addressing the media at the Congress office on Wednesday, Tharoor said, “The accommodative and inclusive language that we are hearing from the government must be welcomed. We in the opposition should not be churlish in ignoring that there is a signaling being done here…The PM himself is saying he will be the PM of all Indians, including those who did not vote for him…This is not the language we are used to hearing from him.”
Saying that Modi had perhaps evolved to Modi 2.0, he said, “But if Modi 1.0 re-emerges, and he or his government does anything that we will consider as divisive… we will oppose him robustly…”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Tharoor, however, added that Modi’s message had not trickled down, referring to the killing of a young Muslim IT professional in Pune.