Amidst din, chaos and protests, the bill to carve out Telangana, the 29th state, by splitting Andhra Pradesh was on Tuesday passed by the Lok Sabha with Congress and BJP coming together on the issue.
Here are the highlights:
# Angry over the way the Telangana Bill was passed in the Lok Sabha, Union Tourism Minister K Chiranjeevi threatened to stall the Rajya Sabha where the bill would be brought on Wednesday. Chiranjeevi, told reporters that while he had no intention of resigning at the moment, he would join in to stop the bill from being passed in the upper house.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
# Trinamool Congress supremo and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said her party MPs will meet the President soon to express their opposition to the way the Telangana Bill was approved.
# Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha, Sushma Swaraj, who spoke on the bill without any telecast, condemned the blackout and said, “We strongly condemn the blackout of the proceedings of Lok Sabha. It was done without our knowledge.”
“I am sorry to inform that Lok Sabha Sectt is not providing us the audio or video recording of my today’s speech on Telangana Bill,” she writes on Twitter. Terming it as a “tactical” rather than “technical” act, she said she will raise the matter with the Speaker tomorrow.
#L Rajagopal, MP behind pepper-spray incident, resigns from Lok Sabha, announces to leave active politics in protest against passage of Telangana Bill.
# Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha, Sushma Swaraj slammed Congress for not doing anything about Telangana in its first term. “They passed the Telangana Bill during the last week of their last Parliament Session,” Swaraj said.
# Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde announced that Seemandhra will be given special package.
# Union Minister Kamal Nath said that the Telangana Bill will be brought to the Rajya Sabha immediately.
# Calling it a black day in the history of Indian democracy, Jagan has called for a bandh across Andhra Pradesh on Wednesday.
# People who raised issues of Seemandhra were suspended, says Jagan. He says the bill has been passed in an undemocratic manner.
# Lok Sabha has passed the Telangana Bill to bifurcate Andhra Pradesh.
# There’s heavy security presence in Vijayawada as the administration fears protests and demonstrations if Parliament passes the Telangana bill.
# Trinamool Congress has reacted angrily to the manner in which the Lok Sabha proceedings are being conducted.
# An MP coming out of Parliament terms the happening inside the House as “daylight murder”, says blacking out media is against democracy.
# Celebrations have already begun in Hyderabad, say reports.
# Process for passage of Telangana bill has been started in Lok Sabha.
# In an unprecedented move, Lok Sabha television transmission has been stopped at 3.03 pm.
# Reports say that marshals have been called in.