Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi is likely to submit his resignation to Congress chief Sonia Gandhi on Thursday. “I have sought an appointment to meet the Congress President. If I get it tomorrow, I will submit my resignation to her,” Gogoi told reporters here while replying to queries. Gogoi, however, said he does not know whether Gandhi will accept his resignation or not as he has not spoken to her yet.
After Congress got its lowest ever tally in Assam – 3 out of 14 Lok Sabha seats – in the recently concluded Lok Sabha elections, 78-year-old Gogoi has said on Saturday that he would resign within a week. Asked why he did not submit his resignation to the state Governor if he was serious, the senior Congress leader said it was the party tradition to submit the resignation letter to
On why he did not convene the Congress Legislature Party meeting to discuss the leadership issue, Gogoi, who has been Chief Minister of Assam since 2001, said he could could do so as he did now know whether he would in the post or not. The three-time Chief Minister has already admitted to “arrogance and complacency” but said he would not leave politics and would continue to work for party’s recovery.
Sources said Congress in Assam has been plagued by factionalism and dissidence with State Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma allegedly leading the anti-Gogoi campaign.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More