Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi is likely to submit his resignation to Congress chief Sonia Gandhi on Thursday. “I have sought an appointment to meet the Congress President. If I get it tomorrow, I will submit my resignation to her,” Gogoi told reporters here while replying to queries. Gogoi, however, said he does not know whether Gandhi will accept his resignation or not as he has not spoken to her yet.
After Congress got its lowest ever tally in Assam – 3 out of 14 Lok Sabha seats – in the recently concluded Lok Sabha elections, 78-year-old Gogoi has said on Saturday that he would resign within a week. Asked why he did not submit his resignation to the state Governor if he was serious, the senior Congress leader said it was the party tradition to submit the resignation letter to
On why he did not convene the Congress Legislature Party meeting to discuss the leadership issue, Gogoi, who has been Chief Minister of Assam since 2001, said he could could do so as he did now know whether he would in the post or not. The three-time Chief Minister has already admitted to “arrogance and complacency” but said he would not leave politics and would continue to work for party’s recovery.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Sources said Congress in Assam has been plagued by factionalism and dissidence with State Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma allegedly leading the anti-Gogoi campaign.