Congress president Sonia Gandhi Wednesday accused Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi of projecting a false image of development in Gujarat in his bid to become Prime Minister. She also accused the BJP of not acknowledging the contribution of a vast section of society, including the poor, in Gujarat’s growth.
“Some people are talking of themselves in a big way. It is an old habit. They are projecting an image as if Gujarat is the only state that has developed. It is another matter that the poor have made sacrifices for this development,” Sonia said at a rally in this south Karnataka town bordering Andhra Pradesh. “The real picture of Gujarat is one of small scale industries shutting down, of tribals struggling for livelihood, of agricultural land being grabbed forcibly and of all kinds of atrocities on women. This is the real picture of Gujarat,” she added.
Calling Modi a divisive personality who does not believe in the country’s secular traditions, Sonia asked if such a person could be entrusted with the responsibility of building the nation. “The BJP is trying to attract voters with big claims and the pictures of one man. He is being presented as a magical hero,” she said.
Unlike the BJP, the UPA has tried to take all sections of society along and has initiated multiple schemes in its 10-year tenure — including NREGA — to stop migration from rural areas to cities by providing jobs close to villages, free education for those between six and 14 years of age, the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana and the JNNURM, Sonia said.
Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah said the BJP manifesto proves the party has not changed its stripes. “They have kept old issues — Ram Temple, uniform civil code, Article 370 — alive. It is a sign that they want to foment trouble,” he said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More