West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee is “deeply saddened” by party MP Tapas Paul’s alleged remarks threatening to kill CPI(M) workers and have their women raped, a comment for which the party is facing widespread condemnation.
“Such kind of comment is condemnable. Our party leader is deeply saddened beyond comprehension. The matter came to her notice yesterday. He has been cautioned and an explanation has been sought from him. The party does not support this kind of conduct,” the West Bengal Education Minister and party secretary general Partha Chatterjee said during a press conference at the Assembly premises.
Even as Banerjee condemned Paul’s remark, Trinamool Congress leadership asked its MP to tender an unconditional apology.
“His comment is condemnable. The party does not approve of it. The party has sought an explanation from him and caution him. The party demanded that he tender an unconditional apology to the people for his comment,” TMC general secretary Mukul Roy said.
Partha Chatterjee, when asked if the administration would act against the errant MP, said, “I have informed you about the views of the party. The administration will speak for itself.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Another senior TMC leader and Panchayat minister Subrata Mukherjee said a decision in this regard would be taken at a meeting of party MPs on Wednesday to be presided over by TMC Supremo Mamata Banerjee.
She is to preside over a scheduled meeting tomorrow with the party MPs which she had convened last week to chalk out the strategy for the ensuing budget session of Parliament.
Trinamool on Monday demanded an explanation in writing from the party’s actor-turned MP within 48 hours for his controversial remarks, which triggered an uproar.
Paul, a Bengali film actor, was elected to the Lok Sabha from the Krishnagar constituency in Nadia district twice on TMC ticket in 2009 and 2014.
(With PTI inputs)