In Sushma Swaraj’s presence, a minister in Madhya Pradesh Wednesday projected her as the next deputy prime minister. He did so at two public rallies, and she was silent in both.
Minister of State for Tourism Surendra Patwa’s projection came days after Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal had projected Arun Jaitley as the next deputy prime minister. While Jaitley had immediately played down Badal’s comment saying such things are usually said at political rallies, Sushma did not appear inclined about doing the same about Patwa’s.
Speaking at BJP workers’ rallies in Badi and Obaidullaganj, Patwa anointed Sushma for the deputy PM’s post both times and said whoever gets elected from Vidisha makes it big on the national stage. The venues are in Raisen, part of Vidisha.
“I only articulated workers’ feelings,’’ the minister told The Indian Express later. He agreed Sushma did not object to what he said. However, sensing that his comments could land him in trouble, he added, “It’s not a party guideline. It’s just an assumption.”
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
The minister is a nephew of former chief minister Sunderlal Patwa. The senior Patwa is widely considered the political guru of CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan, who often seeks his blessings.
The minister cited the examples of Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Chouhan, and Sushma (who became leader of the opposition after her election) who made it big after getting elected from Vidisha. Vajpayee won in 1991 and Chouhan represented the seat for a long time. “There is something in the soil of Vidisha.”
Sushma, incidentally, mentioned Narendra Modi in passing in her speeches Wednesday, having given his name a miss in rallies Tuesday.