Amid reports that a number of Governors appointed by the previous UPA government may be removed, senior Bihar BJP leader Sushil Kumar Modi on Tuesday urged the NDA government to take a call on the matter on the basis of precedents and the relevant Supreme Court judgement.
The NDA government should seek resignations of the Governors appointed by its predecessor and remove them on the basis of merits citing precedents and in the light of the Supreme Court judgement on the matter, former deputy chief minister Modi told reporters.
On the sidelines of his weekly Janata Durbar, he said there were enough reasons for removal of the governors appointed by the UPA government and claimed that many of them had acted in a partisan manner and brought disrepute to the sanctity of their constitutional positions.
“Partisan and motivated actions by a governor is reasons enough for removal,” the senior BJP leader said.
Modi said the UPA government too had removed a number of governors in 2004 and justified its action on the ground that the mandate against the government appointing them warranted their removal.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
A petition had been filed against this notion in the Supreme Court which ruled that governors could be removed if found to be acting in partisan and motivated manner, he said.
Modi charged Bihar Governor D Y Patil with acting as a ‘puppet’ of the JD(U) government.
Patil appointed five RJD and BJP MLAs as MLCs from his discretionary quota within two days of these MLAs quitting their assembly seats to help reduce strength of the Assembly and enable the Jitan Ram Manjhi government win trust vote last month, Modi said.
Similarly, Patil had appointed Manjhi as the chief minister without ascertaining whether he was elected as the leader of the JD(U) legislature party after Nitish Kumar quit his post taking moral responsibility for the ruling party’s debacle in the Lok Sabha elections, Modi alleged.