Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha and BJP’s Amritsar candidate Arun Jaitley Sunday told the government to immediately stop the process of Lokpal appointment, arguing that the selection “procedure is legally suspect” apart from being in violation of the model code of conduct.
“On the eve of the announcement of the elections, the UPA government decided to rush through with the appointment of the Chairperson of the Lokpal and its members . Half the elections in the country have been completed. 26 days are remaining for the declaration of the results and the formation of a new government. This procedure should be stopped immediately,” Jaitley said in a signed article posted on his website.
He asserted that the government’s attempt to “rush through” the Lokpal appointment was “certainly not” proper in the wake of its “certain departure” after the elections. “It would be a gross political impropriety and violation of the code of conduct if the UPA would rush through its appointment at this stage. Besides this, the procedure is legally suspect,” Jaitley wrote, adding that “unholy haste will destroy the credibility of the Lokpal even before it is formed”.
He indicated that the BJP will thwart the process with appeal that the “effort of the Prime Minister’s Office to convene a meeting of the Selection Committee for filling up the vacancies of the Search Committee should not be allowed to succeed”.
The BJP Saturday moved the Election Commission seeking imposition of moratorium on major appointments during the elections. The BJP’s petition referred to the process for the appointment of new Army Chief besides that of the anti-corruption watchdog. Jaitley Sunday, however, steered clear from the issue of selection of the new Army Chief.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review