Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha and BJP’s Amritsar candidate Arun Jaitley Sunday told the government to immediately stop the process of Lokpal appointment, arguing that the selection “procedure is legally suspect” apart from being in violation of the model code of conduct.
“On the eve of the announcement of the elections, the UPA government decided to rush through with the appointment of the Chairperson of the Lokpal and its members . Half the elections in the country have been completed. 26 days are remaining for the declaration of the results and the formation of a new government. This procedure should be stopped immediately,” Jaitley said in a signed article posted on his website.
He asserted that the government’s attempt to “rush through” the Lokpal appointment was “certainly not” proper in the wake of its “certain departure” after the elections. “It would be a gross political impropriety and violation of the code of conduct if the UPA would rush through its appointment at this stage. Besides this, the procedure is legally suspect,” Jaitley wrote, adding that “unholy haste will destroy the credibility of the Lokpal even before it is formed”.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
He indicated that the BJP will thwart the process with appeal that the “effort of the Prime Minister’s Office to convene a meeting of the Selection Committee for filling up the vacancies of the Search Committee should not be allowed to succeed”.
The BJP Saturday moved the Election Commission seeking imposition of moratorium on major appointments during the elections. The BJP’s petition referred to the process for the appointment of new Army Chief besides that of the anti-corruption watchdog. Jaitley Sunday, however, steered clear from the issue of selection of the new Army Chief.